NVIDIA Isn’t Getting Rid of the GeForce RTX 3070’s 12-Pin Power Connector

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-side-power-connector-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA has confirmed that there are no plans to replace the GeForce RTX 3070’s 12-pin power connector with a traditional 8-pin design. The possibility reared its head last week when one of NVIDIA’s social media managers tweeted an image of the midrange GPU with an 8-pin solution as part of a holiday contest, but in a statement provided to Tom’s Hardware, green team explained that it was just an innocent mistake.

“Nvidia issued a statement to Tom’s Hardware, clarifying that it doesn’t have any intention of changing the existing 12-pin power connector on the RTX 3070,” an update to the website’s...

Continue reading...

To me this is just not an issue. PSU makers will be coming out with that 12-pin connector, once it ships with PSUs, it's really no big deal. And anyway, NVIDIA includes an adapter so there aren't any issues making it work with existing PSUs, and, this is only on Founders Edition cards anyway, not AIB cards. So just not an issue for me, let them use the 12-pin connector, hey, it is physically smaller than two big 8-pins at the end of the day.

While on the one hand... it doesn't really matter... they included an adapter and like Brent said it was only FE cards anyway. But OTOH, why did Nvidia decide to do this? What/who benefits from it? The company that manufactures the power adapter dongle? It's always about money....

While on the one hand... it doesn't really matter... they included an adapter and like Brent said it was only FE cards anyway. But OTOH, why did Nvidia decide to do this? What/who benefits from it? The company that manufactures the power adapter dongle? It's always about money....
I think they are hoping the PSU manufacturers will start including it - and that gives everyone one more reason to side with nVidia. Because... I guess because people hate having a useless adapter on their PSU?

I doubt they are licensing the connector out, as that makes it pretty hard to get the PSU guys to include your connector - but companies have done dumber things before.

As far as technical reasons go - yeah, it's smaller than 3x8 pin - the 12-pin can supposedly supply just a hair more power than 3x8 could, but I don't know that it's all that big of an innovation, given that once you cross the 2x8 power threshold you have so much heat to dump that you have much bigger problems than how many PCI-E cables are hanging out of the card.

More like a solution looking for a problem.

Become a Patron!
Back