BioWare Loses Studio GM Casey Hudson (Mass Effect) and Executive Producer Mark Darrah (Dragon Age)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
mass-effect-banner-1024x576.jpg
Image: BioWare

It’s been a fun ride, but the guys behind two of BioWare’s most popular franchises have revealed that they’re leaving the studio after 20-plus years of game development.

Studio GM Casey Hudson (who’s best known for directing the Mass Effect trilogy) and Dragon Age Executive Producer Mark Darrah announced their departures via separate blog posts today, assuring fans that future installments are in good hands despite their surprise retirements.

“One of the things that makes these decisions easier is knowing that BioWare will move forward with a strong and complete set of studio leaders,” Hudson wrote. “We have a very talented leader in Gary McKay, our Sr. Director of Development Operations, who will be BioWare’s interim Studio GM...

Continue reading...

Not a good sign when two of your top executives jump ship at the same time. Even one would be bad.

Until now I had hoped bioware can course correct and I was cautiously optimistic about the next Dragon Age / Mass Effect, this changes that.

“One of the things that makes these decisions easier is knowing that BioWare will move forward with a strong and complete set of studio leaders,” Hudson wrote. “We have a very talented leader in Gary McKay, our Sr. Director of Development Operations, who will be BioWare’s interim Studio GM. Christian Dailey has been a driving force for BioWare as Studio Director for BioWare Austin and will be taking over the role of Dragon Age’s Executive Producer.”

“One of the things that makes these decisions easier is knowing that BioWare will move forward with a strong and complete set of studio leaders,” Hudson wrote. “We have a very talented leader in Gary McKay, our Sr. Director of Development Operations, who will be BioWare’s interim Studio GM. Christian Dailey has been a driving force for BioWare as Studio Director for BioWare Austin and will be taking over the role of Dragon Age’s Executive Producer.”
Yes, he really hit it out of the park with Anthem...

jQmVFypWInKCc.gif

Given how badly people critizise most recent bioware titels (and not so recent) this should be seen as a good thing were it not that all the good people there are long gone anyways.

Given how badly people critizise most recent bioware titels (and not so recent) this should be seen as a good thing were it not that all the good people there are long gone anyways.
Well they did bring back Drew Karpyshin who had written ME1 and 2, only for him to leave a short while later again. All we can do is wait and see now. One failed game is not the end of the world. I don't consider ME:A a failure.

I don’t think BioWare is socially aware enough. They need a bit more SJW in their titles to be able to stand out in today’s Me Too culture.

Well they did bring back Drew Karpyshin who had written ME1 and 2, only for him to leave a short while later again. All we can do is wait and see now. One failed game is not the end of the world. I don't consider ME:A a failure.
Karpyshyn joined another studio with former BioWare veterans called Archetype Entertainment back in February.

https://www.archetype-entertainment.com/

Didn't Casey Hudson quit BioWare once before? He left early in Andromeda's development as I recall. That was part of the problem.

Didn't Casey Hudson quit BioWare once before? He left early in Andromeda's development as I recall. That was part of the problem.
A bunch of people who worked on the original trilogy left early in development. I think the fact that they decided to bring in a bunch of Tumblr-types to create the game to try and make the game feel "fresh" was ultimately their undoing, though. Hudson probably came back because he thought he could salvage the developer, but EA has its claws dug in too deeply at this point.

Become a Patron!
Back