MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO Video Card Review

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

msi_3070_gamingxtrio_banner.png

On our test bench, today is the MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO video card. It sits near the top of MSI’s product stack with a big beefy cooler, stout factory overclock and even a bracket to help keep support it within your case. As we found from overclocking the GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition, there was a significant limitation on the power limit that we felt could help further our overclock beyond the 6% or so that we got out of it with a custom AIB solution.

Like all other GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs, this card is impossible to find in the retail environment but has an MSRP of $599. This represents a $100...

Continue reading...

Review link no workie... :(

"Continue Reading" links to the article and seems to work. The two links in the text are still bugged by the old link bug that they haven't fixed in the integration plugin...

Does that seem right?

Nope, the "Continue reading..." link just opens a blank white page.

Same thing happens when you go to the main site page and click on the review itself?

Hmm

On my iPhone I get a white screen when trying to view the review. From either the link here or the main page. Could just be high traffic? Not sure - haven’t had a chance to try on desktop yet.

Ok - All fixed, I hope....

It appears that the plugin responsible for lazy loading images was conflicting with the new fancy graphwork that I put into this one. Disabled lazy loading and we're in business.. now.. to figure out how to lazy load images.

While you're at it, let me know what you think about this chart plugin...

Excellent Review David!

I like the graphs. More particularly the mouse-over infotip that pops up for each bar. I like it a lot.

Now my disdain for not being able to get my hands on a 30xx series card grows... Grrrrrrrrr....

Nice clean review. I like the RT feature on the 3070/3080 but do not like the vram amounts. I keep cards for a long time and these cards for me just will not cut it for my use case. I generally do update every generation but the previous card goes to another computer is the issue and even a 3rd if still usable.

As for AMD RT, they are not speaking up on if they expect performance to improve, showing any significant confidence in it and utterly vague about their upcoming upscaling tech. Probably does not matter if they are selling everything they make. AMD RT maybe as worthless or more so than Turing in the end, don't know.

Neither company AMD/Nvidia is making a product I could really sink my teeth into but the 6800/6900 series from my perspective has a slight edge. Nvidia fiasco yet again with their marketing team with Hardware Unboxed makes even supporting Nvidia that much more troubling. Had a 3090 in my Inbox at BestBuy, except could not purchase since was not in a region they had any, so could not purchase (what that is all about, why if I selected Indiana I could, except I would have to fly there and back costing time and money made it even more frustrating).

While RT is cool, looking at the top 100 games on Steam being played, you don't find too many RT titles at all as in being popular except now for Cyberpunk 2077. Point blank, gamers don't care that much or find that feature at this time that significant in general. Now we may but in general gamers do not. Most just see's it as buzz words is my opinion and only care about game play, smoothness, graphics however achieved.

Once again a very nice review.

Performance-wise, I think the 3070 sits at a sweet point for me (1440p monitor) but that VRAM is concerning. It also feels like GPUs are on the cusp of a drastic VRAM increase, and the 8GB of RAM for a higher 'mid-range' card is concerning. The rumored 3070 TI 16GB GPU sounds pretty perfect to me, mind you.

Personally I'm looking at a 3080 or a 6800 XT (with availability becoming the ultimate decision maker for either card). I'll get that performance bump and also get more VRAM than my last GPU (2080S).

Become a Patron!
Back