AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Rage Mode Performance

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-2.png

Introduction

The need for more performance, it’s always on the minds of PC hardware enthusiasts.  It’s also on the mind of AMD with the latest AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT video card launch.  AMD has provided gamers and hardware enthusiasts with a new feature that works only on Radeon RX 6800 XT video cards.  Inside the AMD Radeon Software App is a new Performance Tuning Preset called Rage Mode.  Rage Mode is a software-selectable preset that changes hardware functionality to provide extra headroom on the GPU to deliver “the ultimate gaming performance.” 

In our comparison review today, we are going to directly compare performance at default versus Rage Mode on the reference AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT video card sampled by AMD.  In this way, we can see what, if...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems very similar at first glance to turning up the power limit in MSI Afterburner.

With an AIO on my 1080Ti, this is all I have to do, and really all I can do; no further manual tuning delivers additional stable performance, and the card runs at max boost under load without throttling (or making any additional noise).

I'd bet that an AIO version of the 6800XT would behave similarly, and given that the solution appears well thought-out, that it'd be both a 'safe' overclock and make ensuring that you're getting the most out of the GPU within the margin for error.

Rage Mode looks more like "Meow" mode... Not much "Rage" in a 1-2% increase. Although Brent didn't test it, I bet this card can exhibit a "Rage" difference in power draw when "Rage" mode is on. That's about it sadly :(

Thanks for the review on this Brent. I agree these results seem like a let down. However, I think you hit the nail on the head about your test card being "just" an AMD reference card. I wonder if custom cards can take the Rage mode idea and run with it. It would be a shame to bring back the "Rage" name only to have it be a dud.

Kind of disappointing having a Rage button that gives no rage out of your graphics card. Placebo button, great idea if it gave 5%+ boost, does AMD think their reference cards have virtually no headroom above specs? Seeing some of the AIBs easily going above 2500mhz makes me think AMD missed an opportunity here.

How does this compared to the quiet button, how much if any, performance loss, power savings etc.?

I like these exploratory type reads and look overs, good read.

"The need for more performance, it’s always on the minds of PC hardware enthusiasts. It’s also on the mind of AMD with the latest AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT video card launch. "

I'd say the only thing on anyone's mind at this point is when will a plain old guy with money to spend be able to buy a new GPU.....either AMD or Nvidia.
The only "Rage Mode" I have is aimed directly at scalpers, their little bots, and the management at these two companies who decided to paper launch these products.

I did some testing with a 6900XT last week; using Auto Undervolt actually got a higher increase in performance than Rage Mode setting. I'm guessing that a manual undervolt would yield a bit more as well.

I'm using a 6800 now, while it doesn't have Rage Mode setting, it still performs better than stock using Auto Undervolt.

Become a Patron!
Back