Who cares about 5nm?

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast

Apple had done about the same thing with TSMCs 5nm production early on - which is why all the current gen Apple stuff is 5 but everyone else is still only on 7 (or 14, if your poor Intel)

If Apple wants to blow away all that money gobbling up production capacity then they can have it. I still won't be purchasing any Apple product.

This is probably entirely necessary.

Intel has stumbled, and Apple can outspend AMD at the only fab that AMD uses, which means that Apple is in a position to actually supply market demand for consumer computing devices.

Along with a 'desktop' ARM ecosystem that just hit critical mass, Apple is really poised to start 'taking over' consumer computing.

This is probably entirely necessary.

Intel has stumbled, and Apple can outspend AMD at the only fab that AMD uses, which means that Apple is in a position to actually supply market demand for consumer computing devices.

Along with a 'desktop' ARM ecosystem that just hit critical mass, Apple is really poised to start 'taking over' consumer computing.
Don't see how that will happen. PC market share of Apple has floated around 7% for the past decade without any signs of moving. Their smartphone market share continues to slip, now around 12% of the global market where Samsung continues to grow and dominate with 23%. That is fourth place after Xiaomi, Huawei and Samsung. The only market segment Apple is dominating in is tablets.

Don't see how that will happen. PC market share of Apple has floated around 7% for the past decade without any signs of moving. Their smartphone market share continues to slip, now around 12% of the global market where Samsung continues to grow and dominate with 23%. That is fourth place after Xiaomi, Huawei and Samsung. The only market segment Apple is dominating in is tablets.
and laptops.

and laptops.
Apple holds a similar market position in laptops as they do in smart phones (4th place). If you break out the PC numbers for Apple into laptop and desktop, the former is actually the lower number (6.9%) compared to desktop (7.7%).

I'd honestly thought that their share was higher for phones, but I also expect that market to be bolstered (at least not sabotaged) by their laptop / desktop push with ARM.

Frankly, while Apple only offers a small advantage with their phones (I don't own any Apple products either), the laptop and consumer desktop space is ripe for their taking.

At issue in my opinion is that people generally don't need and have very little use for overpowered personal computers. Instead, a cohesive, responsive, always ready experience is ripe to get peoples' attention, and it's gotten mine. Yes, I have very little interest in limiting myself to Apple's walled garden, but at the same time I appreciate an appliance that 'just works'.

And that's really what Apple is selling here: appliances. Give me a Macbook-spec laptop build that lasts for days or even over a week, that can handle the more intensive work that I'm likely to do with relative ease (content creation), and perhaps game a little, and I have a pretty hard time saying no.

Apple is top phone by profit, but not by market share or revenue. Samsung is top by those two metrics, but Apple makes almost $3 to every $1 Samsung pockets.

Become a Patron!
Back