AMD Announces New Ryzen 5000 Series Mobile, Ryzen 5000 Series Desktop, and Ryzen Threadripper PRO Processors

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-5000-series-vermeer-black-chip-render-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

During today’s CES 2021 keynote event, AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su announced what her company has dubbed the world’s best mobile CPUs: the AMD Ryzen 5000 Series high-performance H- and ultra-mobile U-Series processors.

According to AMD, users can expect up to 16 percent more single-threaded performance and up to 14 percent faster multithreaded performance over the previous generation. Ryzen 5000 Series mobile processors are also said to grant up to 17.5 hours of general usage battery life and up to 21 hours of movie playback on a single charge.

At the top of the stack is the 8C/16T AMD Ryzen 9 5980HX, which features a 4.8 GHz boost clock and TDP of 45+. While the majority of the Ryzen 5000 Series mobile SKUs leverage the...

Continue reading...

I have to admit, I am really kind of annoyed and disappointed at AMD's misleading naming conventions.

If they were being honest:

- All Ryzen 1xxx CPU's (desktop, mobile and APU) should have been Zen 1
- All Ryzen 2xxx CPU's (desktop, mobile and APU) should ahve been Zen 1+
- All Ryzen 3xxx CPU's (desktop, mobile and APU) should ahve been Zen 2
- etc. etc.

Mixing different architectures under the same generation name is just wrong, and reminds me of Intel's bullshit.

Hmm, still no Zen 3 TR though? AMDs site also lists a 12c TR Pro

Hmm, still no Zen 3 TR though? AMDs site also lists a 12c TR Pro

If memory serves, the TR releases have always been quite a bit after the regular desktop releases.

I'm sure they will be here soon.

I hope they are backwards compatible with TRX40. Would suck to have to buy another $800 motherboard :p

AMD also needs to concentrate on delivering stock of models they've already released. I still can't find a 5950X for less than the MSRP of a GeForce RTX 3090.

I have to admit, I am really kind of annoyed and disappointed at AMD's misleading naming conventions.

If they were being honest:

- All Ryzen 1xxx CPU's (desktop, mobile and APU) should have been Zen 1
- All Ryzen 2xxx CPU's (desktop, mobile and APU) should ahve been Zen 1+
- All Ryzen 3xxx CPU's (desktop, mobile and APU) should ahve been Zen 2
- etc. etc.

Mixing different architectures under the same generation name is just wrong, and reminds me of Intel's bullshit.

While I agree AMD did say they will put stickers on the laptops that state which gen of CPU is in it. Lame maybe but still better then nothing

Become a Patron!
Back