GIGABYTE Announces AORUS Gen4 7000s SSDs with Up to 7 GB/s Read Speed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gigabyte-aorus-gen4-7000s-ssd-key-art-1024x576.jpg

GIGABYTE has announced its AORUS Gen4 7000s SSDs. Available in 1 TB and 2 TB models, these M.2 2280 drives offer an impressive sequential read speed of up to 7,000 MBs and sequential write speed of up to 6,850 MB/s (5,500 MB/s for the 1 TB model). Users can expect 55 percent faster performance over previous PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs thanks to the implementation of Phison’s latest E18 controller and high-speed 3D-TLC NAND Flash.

GIGABYTE did not share the AORUS Gen4 7000s SSDs’ pricing or dates of availability, but you can check out an overview of their specifications below. The manufacturer has also shared CrystalDiskMark results to prove their advertised sequential read and write speeds...

Continue reading...

Looking forward to when Sony announces PS5 compatibility for some of these bad boys.

Looking forward to when Sony announces PS5 compatibility for some of these bad boys.
I'm looking forward to seeing some sustained write stats myself...

And also the prices in 4TB drives coming down, because man, I'm out of M.2 NVMe slots!

I'm looking forward to these as well, but in the past Aorus seems to be quite pricey over the competition.

Just what we needed.... or not at all.

Frankly the differences in loading times are already hardly noticeable between a SATA SSD and an NVME one with 3000MB/s, so this will sure shave off at least 10ms from my loading times, oh the joy!

Frankly the differences in loading times are already hardly noticeable between a SATA SSD and an NVME one with 3000MB/s, so this will sure shave off at least 10ms from my loading times, oh the joy!
So, I just upgraded my OS drive. Used dd to copy everything over with an NVMe to USB3 adapter. Something like 1GB/s sustained going from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB SSD. Still took some time, obviously!

I've also done quite a bit of backup cleanup lately. Suddenly NVMe doesn't seem so fast when you're dealing with 100's of gigabytes of compressed data, especially when you simply don't have enough NVMe space to handle it all at once, so now there's a spinner in the mix. Was a side project that took the better part of a week's long staycation.

Now, neither of those are everyday usecases, and neither really needed faster storage. The point is that when you wind up dealing with these kinds of projects, faster storage is actually pretty useful to have on hand.

I'm kind of at the point where external, hot-swappable NVMe slots would be pretty cool. It's already a thing on some cinema cameras and external recorders (see Atomos), and I could see it being useful for larger laptops, SFFs, and so on.

I'm looking forward to these as well, but in the past Aorus seems to be quite pricey over the competition.
'Aorus' is just Gigabyte for 'we need a brand-name that's less stupid than the one we came up with in the late 90's'.

All the Taiwanese vendors have done something similar, and even the Chinese and US vendors have jumped in too, see Lenovo's Legion, Dell's Alienware, and HP's Omen brands.

Doesn't change what or who they are one bit, and isn't related to pricing at all (except in the case of the US vendors where their warranties are expected to be at least accessible).

So, I just upgraded my OS drive. Used dd to copy everything over with an NVMe to USB3 adapter. Something like 1GB/s sustained going from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB SSD. Still took some time, obviously!

I've also done quite a bit of backup cleanup lately. Suddenly NVMe doesn't seem so fast when you're dealing with 100's of gigabytes of compressed data, especially when you simply don't have enough NVMe space to handle it all at once, so now there's a spinner in the mix. Was a side project that took the better part of a week's long staycation.

Now, neither of those are everyday usecases, and neither really needed faster storage. The point is that when you wind up dealing with these kinds of projects, faster storage is actually pretty useful to have on hand.
Yeah, copying an entire drive is not a regular usercase. I was talking about the user experience, the loading of propgrams and games.
If I'm doing work that requires the movement of lots of data nvme of course makes sense.
I'm kind of at the point where external, hot-swappable NVMe slots would be pretty cool. It's already a thing on some cinema cameras and external recorders (see Atomos), and I could see it being useful for larger laptops, SFFs, and so on.
I can't afford even SATA SSDs yet as cold storage, how could I afford NVME SSDs? That's why I think the market should push towards cheaper reasonably priced SSDs instead of faster and faster expensive drives.

'Aorus' is just Gigabyte for 'we need a brand-name that's less stupid than the one we came up with in the late 90's'.

I actually like the Aorus name less than Gigabyte. None of the names made much sense back then. In fact Abit, DFI, SOYO, and Epox were ones that I used frequently until they went under. Not that flashy of names either..;)

I can't afford even SATA SSDs yet as cold storage, how could I afford NVME SSDs? That's why I think the market should push towards cheaper reasonably priced SSDs instead of faster and faster expensive drives.
I mean, they're almost at parity now up to 2TB.

The challenge with NVMe isn't the price, it's that it's hard to hook enough of them up!

As for 'cold' storage, yeah, I have a system full of Seagate spinners run by TrueNAS for that purpose. But that's on the other end of 10Gbit link.

I actually like the Aorus name less than Gigabyte. None of the names made much sense back then. In fact Abit, DFI, SOYO, and Epox were ones that I used frequently until they went under. Not that flashy of names either..;)
DFI might still be around...?

I mean, they're almost at parity now up to 2TB.
That's the problem large SSDs are still damned expensive compared to spinners. Even the QLC ones.

The challenge with NVMe isn't the price, it's that it's hard to hook enough of them up!
Maybe for you it isn't. I have maybe 30TB of data, chapest 2TB NVME: ~$250 that's over $4000 expense just to store the data I already have.
I can't afford that. Hooking up enough isn't an issue, there is at least 2 NVME slots on most MBs and you can add two more drives to each pcie slot with adapters. That's way more drives than I can afford.

As for 'cold' storage, yeah, I have a system full of Seagate spinners run by TrueNAS for that purpose. But that's on the other end of 10Gbit link.
That's not cold storage. I meant offline, that is not powered / accessible by default. I definitely don't need NVME SSDs for offline backups.

Become a Patron!
Back