DOOM Eternal Sequel Could Star Female Doom Slayer

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
doom-girl-super-shotgun-gesture-1024x576.jpg
Image: [D]readnaught

id Software’s next DOOM title could feature a female Doom Slayer. The possibility was teased by game director Hugo Martin, who revealed during an official Twitch stream this month that the team had actually been actively discussing the idea behind the scenes. Martin pointed out that the introduction of a female Doom Slayer has to be “meaningful,” however, which suggests that her debut, should it happen, would tie in greatly with the story.

“I’ve thought about it,” Martin said in regard to a female Doom Slayer to the franchise. “I think if we did it, I’d want it to be lethal. I think it’s interesting how it would impact the Glory Kills and the weapons that she would have. The fighting style [would] certainly [be] all aggression, absolutely, but a different type of aggression.”

“I would really...

Continue reading...

As long as they put thought and effort into it instead of shoehorning it in I'll be fine with it.
After Ancient Gods you could interpret that the story of the original Doom Slayer has concluded,
but can't say that for sure until part 2 comes out.

*sighs*

I wonder how the snowflakes would respond to changing Lara Croft as the protagonist in Tomb Raider but for the next TR game, Crystal Dynamics use Jonah Maiava as the protagonist?

I kind of feel like Doom is one of those titles where the gender of the character has just about zero impact on either the gameplay or the story. I don't have a problem with it.

Just hope they don't fall into the "female character wears nothing but armored bra" trap.

They should go the metroid route. Get the woman from the mandalorian that just got fired as the voice/body model and do mocap on her for the action. Even if she's politically questionable bodbody will really care for Doom. Not like those that would be offended are target market for that game anyway.

They should go the metroid route. Get the woman from the mandalorian that just got fired as the voice/body model and do mocap on her for the action. Even if she's politically questionable bodbody will really care for Doom. Not like those that would be offended are target market for that game anyway.

There are plenty of women with strong bodies they could use.

Controversy one way or another tends to have a risk of impacting sales. It would be silly to take that risk.

That, and I don't think your assumptions about who buys FPS games is necessarily accurate. I don't think it skews one way or another on the political spectrum.

Generally the worst thing you can do when trying to market a product is to turn off roughly half the potential market unless you think it will massively drive sales in the other half, but then you also have to consider the impact on other titles in your portfolio.

As always the best approach with anything business is to try to avoid taking sides or hiring politicall controversial people as much as possible, unless you feel it is unavoidable.

I'm just used to actors having out there concepts of reality is all.

Didn't they make a Doom movie with a Female protagonist?

Doomguy doesn't even have a single spoken line. And is not visible ever in the game outside of multiplayer. Or was that different in eternal? I haven't seen that one.

It doesn't matter. After Doom Eternal, I'll likely not be interested in another game anyway. Doom isn't supposed to be a ****ing platformer with the ammunition economy of Amnesia The Dark Descent.

Doomguy doesn't even have a single spoken line. And is not visible ever in the game outside of multiplayer. Or was that different in eternal? I haven't seen that one.
He says some stuff in Eternal, but it's not like actual monologue or dialogue. Just a few words.

Become a Patron!
Back