AMD’s Zen 4 EPYC Processors Will Reportedly Boast Up to 96 Cores

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-epyc-chip-blue-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD’s lineup of Zen 4-based EPYC 7004 Series processors will reportedly boast a massive core count increase over its predecessors. The rumored spec bump was shared by leaker ExecutableFix, who tweeted a partial features list noting that the family would top out at 96 cores and 192 threads. This happens to be 32 more cores than what AMD’s Zen 3-based EPYC 7003 (“Milan”) and Zen 2-based EPYC 7002 (“Rome”) flagships were blessed with.

ExecutableFix’s leak also suggests that AMD’s Zen 4-based EPYC 7004 Series “Genoa” processors will include support for 12-channel DDR5-5200 memory, as well as support for up to 128 PCIe 5.0 lanes (160 for certain configurations). They’ll leverage the SP5 (LGA-6069) socket and feature a TDP/cTDP of 320/400 watts.

96-cores (192 threads)12-channel DDR5-5200128 PCIe 5.0 lanes...

Continue reading...

I would like one of these, but in all honesty, I have no real use for one

I would like one of these, but in all honesty, I have no real use for one
That's how I feel about everything over a 4/8 -- would love it, couldn't really use it though. Same thing with a sports car....

That's how I feel about everything over a 4/8 -- would love it, couldn't really use it though. Same thing with a sports car....

That's quickly loosing it's luster for gamers, and even for office users.

But... 96 cores... you know who REALLY loves that news. Software vendors that do per core licensing that's who. Can you IMAGINE... I don't.. no now I have to...

to license MSSQL for ONE of these CPU's... 720 THOUSAND dollars.

If AMD is smart they are reaching out to intel to negotiate decreased cost for per core licensing for their CPU's. That's the only way I would want something like this for a SQL server.

Even for an ESXi host... the density is great... but the cost of RAM for this host... not to mention SMT2 use... and how many eggs are going in one basket...

I don't see it's use outside of very specific build situations. Still a good HALO product but I'm thinking 96 cores is just overkill. Even for VMware you would need 3 licenses per socket. (Host licenses are per socket/Per 32 core now.)

That's quickly loosing it's luster for gamers, and even for office users.

I mean, a little bit; I can still get by with a 2C4T for pure office work, as that's usually more limited by storage and networking (and at the same time).

I'd honestly take upgrades to those first, though I don't think we really have anything that isn't at least a quad i7 with 16GB of RAM. i7 6700 CPUs are everywhere. Most still have spinners in them, though, and that's rough!

Become a Patron!
Back