Intel Launches M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive 670p

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-ssd-670p-key-visual-1024x577.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel has launched its Solid State Drive 670p, a 144-layer quad-level cell (QLC)-based client M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD for everyday computing and mainstream gaming. As noted by Rob Crooke, Intel senior vice president and general manager of the NAND Products and Solutions Group, SSD 670p users can expect 38 percent better random read performance and up to 50 percent better latency over the company’s previous generation SSDs. Intel’s new 670p lineup is also available in capacities of up to 2 terabytes.

“Developed using the latest QLC technology, the Intel SSD 670p is equipped with capacity of up to 2 terabytes in a single drive, offering tremendous value for everyday computing needs, as well as mainstream gaming,” Intel’s...

Continue reading...

I heard about these from a Newegg email ad.

I'll say this: it looks good, on paper, but the prices Newegg quoted are significantly higher than TLC drives that I know will handle sustained writes significantly better than Intel QLC. At every capacity.

I assume that Intel will drop prices rapidly like they did the 660p, which at times could be a good value. The 670p, at release, isn't close to a good value.

And why PCIe 3.0? I mean sure the user base is there... but this is the new stuff.. I would expect it to be PCIe 4 and 3 compatible.

And why PCIe 3.0? I mean sure the user base is there... but this is the new stuff.. I would expect it to be PCIe 4 and 3 compatible.
The previous 660p didn't get close to PCIe 3.0, would have been find with PCIe 2.0. I'm betting that the sequential read numbers wouldn't be more than 10% faster with PCIe 4.0, and that almost certainly wasn't worth the cost of a more expensive controller.

The previous 660p didn't get close to PCIe 3.0, would have been find with PCIe 2.0. I'm betting that the sequential read numbers wouldn't be more than 10% faster with PCIe 4.0, and that almost certainly wasn't worth the cost of a more expensive controller.
I don't think there would be any difference at all. It doesn't even tax PCIe 3.0

Become a Patron!
Back