Sony Discontinuing Movie and TV Purchases on PlayStation Store

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-store-explore-movies-and-tv-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

PlayStation owners will no longer be able to purchase or rent their favorite movies and TV shows from the PlayStation Store. The change to on-demand purchases was confirmed by Sony Interactive Entertainment’s Head of Video today, who published an article on the official PlayStation Blog explaining that the company had made the decision based on the increasing popularity of subscription- and ad-based entertainment streaming services. Access to previously purchased movie and TV content will, of course, continue to be available.

“At SIE, we strive to provide the best entertainment experience for PlayStation fans, and that means evolving our offerings as customer needs change,” Vanessa Lee wrote. “We’ve seen tremendous growth from...

Continue reading...

I had purchased a couple of movies through there just to try it out. I won’t really miss the service though. It didn’t bring anything special to the table other than playing through the PlayStation - which a bunch of other services can do as well or better

I had purchased a couple of movies through there just to try it out. I won’t really miss the service though. It didn’t bring anything special to the table other than playing through the PlayStation - which a bunch of other services can do as well or better
It never offered 4K as far as I'm aware, which was a definite negative. It was a good service for the time, though, before the proliferation of other streaming services.

Become a Patron!
Back