Diablo II: Resurrected Will Support the Original Game’s Save Files, as Well as 4320p (8K) Resolution

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
diablo-ii-resurrected-dark-wanderer-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Blizzard

Diablo II: Resurrected players who grew up with the original version of Blizzard’s iconic role-playing hack-and-slash sequel will be able to pick up from right where they left off years ago. This is according to Diablo II: Resurrected’s game producer, Matthew Cederquist, who confirmed to IGN in a recent round-table interview that the remaster would support the original 2000 classic’s save files. What’s interesting is that the compatibility required no additional work from the development team.

“Yes! Yes, keep those!,” Cederquist replied to great applause after being asked whether older players would be able to import original save files into Diablo 2: Resurrected. “Back when we were working on [the remaster], we wondered if the...

Continue reading...

At first 8K resolution support seems kind of pointless, but I recently played through the original Dishonored with 8K DSR on my 43" 4k screen, and it was quite nice considering the original had **** for AA.

That said, why would this require specific support? Any well made game should poll the system for all available resolutions and present them as a render option. Makes sense to have a few different modes for different aspect ratios though (probably 4:3, 16:10, 16:9 and 21:9) just to make sure FOV and UI elements are still good.

Crazy enough, I still have some characters saved. Still, I doubt I wish to purchase this game again.

How about let me use my old key off of the cd case?
Or, let me install the original and upgrade?

But, we know what will happen.

Crazy enough, I still have some characters saved. Still, I doubt I wish to purchase this game again.

How about let me use my old key off of the cd case?
Or, let me install the original and upgrade?

But, we know what will happen.
Pretty sure that the new graphics engine and QoL improvements are worth paying for again

Thinking about it more, let’s say they charge 60 for the facelift. Even if I only get my old buds back together long enough to play though normal and nightmare, I will have spent like $130 on Diablo 2 total for probably 3000+ hours of play time (or more). I’ll happily pay $130 for any game I play that much.

Pretty sure that the new graphics engine and QoL improvements are worth paying for again
I'd wait until we see the end product before making any claims at all (*cough WC3 cough*)

The original D2 was one of the best, and I have high hopes, but I don't have a lot of confidence left in Blizzard...

I'd wait until we see the end product before making any claims at all (*cough WC3 cough*)

The original D2 was one of the best, and I have high hopes, but I don't have a lot of confidence left in Blizzard...
I barely played wc3 the first time, so reforged barely hit my radar. What was wrong with it?

I barely played wc3 the first time, so reforged barely hit my radar. What was wrong with it?

The two biggest issues were that Bliz force upgraded people who were still using the old version... which cool I guess, but...

The new version didn't support mods or custom games in the same way, so it broke a lot of backwards compatibility - with no way to drop back to the original version of the game. But worst of all there was a huge change to the EULA, that basically makes any mod or customization a modder makes for the game the property of Blizzard. I guess they are still bitter over DOTA.

Also, highly related to Diablo but not necessarily WC3, don't forget: "Do you guys not have cell phones?"

Last edited:
I played Diablo 2 in college 20 years ago.

I was able to get into it after a while, but I grew tired of it. It was just a lot of clicking and not very fun.

It truly was well mocked with the likes of Progress Quest.

I played Diablo 2 in college 20 years ago.

I was able to get into it after a while, but I grew tired of it. It was just a lot of clicking and not very fun.

It truly was well mocked with the likes of Progress Quest.
When you get right down to it, all video games are "just a lot of clicking." Okay, the vast majority of them are.

When you get right down to it, all video games are "just a lot of clicking." Okay, the vast majority of them are.

Well yeah, but the Diablo series really boils it down to clicking and random chance much more than most titles.

There is usually some sort of strategy, or a good story, or at least a skill requirement in there as well to make it interesting.

I found the Diablo series was lacking in most of these.

Meanwhile, the randomly generated character I started in Progress Quest on Friday after my last post, Nieckvud the Inner Mason Land Squid is progressing quite nicely :p

1615403560953.png

Hey now, The Diablo 2 story was awesome! The cinematics were amazing and I don’t think we’d seen anything quite like it prior.

Become a Patron!
Back