AMD Launches Special “Midnight Black” Version of Radeon RX 6800 XT Graphics Card, Sells Out Immediately

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-midnight-black-edition-box-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD launched a special version of its Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card today called the Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight Black edition that, as its name might imply, swaps the standard reference model’s predominately chrome and gray color scheme for one that’s mostly black. Unfortunately (and to the surprise of no one), the sleek-looking GPU sold out pretty much immediately after red team launched the card this morning. It isn’t clear whether AMD will make its Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight Black edition available again in the future or if other graphics cards in the RDNA 2 family will be given the same special treatment...

Continue reading...

Adding to it's desirability, besides unavailability, it also can't ray trace it's way out of a wet paper bag.

Adding to it's desirability, besides unavailability, it also can't ray trace it's way out of a wet paper bag.

All true. Right now the best high end GPU's are the ones you can actually get your hands on. AMD and others might as well Photoshop or mock up these color schemes for all it matters. Real cards are so rare that you buy whatever you can get your hands on when you can get them. Details like color aren't a huge deal. At least, they weren't to me.

All true. Right now the best high end GPU's are the ones you can actually get your hands on. AMD and others might as well Photoshop or mock up these color schemes for all it matters. Real cards are so rare that you buy whatever you can get your hands on when you can get them. Details like color aren't a huge deal. At least, they weren't to me.

I cant imagine anyone that needs a GPU atm would turn it down because of color. If you do, then you really don't need it.
Like I could and would turn down any Radeon, because I have a RTX 2070. Not worth it to me personally.
But I would of course take a 3080.

Why spend money designing the new colors when you cant build enough of the regular ones.

Well, it's a simple thing to do and was probably done when they planned the marketing for the product. These things are usually hashed out well in advance of the actual product release.

I would be happy getting any 3080/3090 or 6800XT/6900XT.

I pretty much gave up though. Not spending my time watching discords or YT channels for drops.

I don't care if it's in garish DFI colors, (all though Gigabyte had some ugly colors too) just have a surplus. RT has to be better than a GTX 1000 series and can be turned off to improve performance

What I'd like to know - what components, exactly, are in short supply?

I know Fabs are horribly expensive and take a long time to get up and going, still seems like we need more in this world of ours given how dependent we have become on silicone.

What we need are some disruptive technologies. Too bad they cant be had on demand. :(

Well, it's a simple thing to do and was probably done when they planned the marketing for the product. These things are usually hashed out well in advance of the actual product release.

Right - I get that - completely understand.

Still seems to me that the part where they decided to actually build the black GPU's and sell them could have been put on hold till supply is greater in order to help keep prospective customers less unhappy with the shortage rather then draw more attention to it.

That said, all other factors being the same, the black one would go with my case/system better then the red. Well *if* I were able to actually buy one.

*edit*

Taking a quick look at ebay the scalpers certainly had no problem getting a hold of the black cards.

Become a Patron!
Back