BioWare Shares New Mass Effect Legendary Edition Video Comparing Graphics and Performance between Remasters and Originals

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
mass-effect-legendary-edition-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: BioWare

BioWare has released a new Mass Effect Legendary Edition video that gives fans an excellent look at how the remastered versions of the classic sci-fi RPGs compare to their original renditions. The video was shared as part of a lengthy “gameplay calibrations” article that was published today, which provides plenty of insight in regard to how BioWare modernized the controls and gameplay of the first Mass Effect to line up better with the rest of the trilogy. Mass Effect Legendary Edition will be released on Steam, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on May 14, 2021.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition changes are looking impressive in this early access footage provided by BioWare which takes a look at improved Mako controls, a revamped Noveria, and combat changes in the original Mass Effect. Referred to by fans as Mass Effect Remastered, this version of...

Continue reading...

I guess I'll be buying the ME trilogy... again :( Maybe it will get down to a reasonable price in a reasonable timeframe.
Same here. I just hope it launches in a nice working fashion unlike numerous other revived franchises in the last year or two.

This is one I will wait and see on. Love the series wouldn't mind a remastered one.. but why not a remastered KOTOR?

Also why isn't this launching on the origin platform?

I just hope it launches in a nice working fashion unlike numerous other revived franchises in the last year or two.
50 / 50?

On heads, it's existing IP and existing engines, so screwups should be pretty minor in scope. On tails, it's EA "Bioware", so, we can't put game-breaking bugs past them. I will say that I was able to complete ME:Andromeda with the release version during release week, and prior to the first patch; only had one 'game breaking' bug that required a small amount of replay to surmount. So I believe it's at least possible!

This is one I will wait and see on.
Man, I ain't waiting. I'm a sucker for these.
but why not a remastered KOTOR?
It's called 'The Old Republic", and it's an MMO ;)

Also why isn't this launching on the origin platform?
I would assume that it is; but if it's not, and it's only launching on Steam, that's interesting. Not that I mind that in the slightest, and if it is the case I can think of a few reasons why that don't necessarily point to EA shutting down Origin in favor of Steam, but they just might be going down that road.

Andromeda gets a lot of crap it doesn't deserve. The game was actually quite good. It does have its issues and did launch in an unacceptable state. However, I never had trouble completing it. A lot of the crap the game took was over the early access version which wasn't the final retail build of the game and was quite different than the finished product. Yes, animations were screwed up but that was really the worst of it. In some ways the animation was still better than that of the trilogy as far as clipping issues and other problems went.

The game just doesn't grab a lot of people the way the trilogy did and I can write a lot about that. It's the lack of a tighter narrative, broken sense of urgency from being an open world game and the ultimately lame protagonist that's to blame for this. However, the game is still pretty good if you can play it long enough to get sucked into the narrative. In many ways the game is actually executed the way ME3 should have been.

From a technical perspective, Andromeda is probably the best of them now. That being said, I don't have any doubt the Legendary Editions will work well out of the box. These were games that were sorted out in the months after release and most of their issues had been resolved. There are a couple I can really point to in ME2 and ME3, which will hopefully be addressed in the LE version. BioWare did state they fixed hundreds of issues, and again these are older games so I suspect they will work well despite the studio's reputation for releasing buggy ****.

There will certainly still be bugs and I have no doubt there may be some new ones thanks to the changes they've made under the hood. However, we won't be talking about anything on the level of Bethesda's or CDPR's unfinished games.

Andromeda gets a lot of crap it doesn't deserve. The game was actually quite good. It does have its issues and did launch in an unacceptable state. However, I never had trouble completing it. A lot of the crap the game took was over the early access version which wasn't the final retail build of the game and was quite different than the finished product. Yes, animations were screwed up but that was really the worst of it. In some ways the animation was still better than that of the trilogy as far as clipping issues and other problems went.

The game just doesn't grab a lot of people the way the trilogy did and I can write a lot about that. It's the lack of a tighter narrative, broken sense of urgency from being an open world game and the ultimately lame protagonist that's to blame for this. However, the game is still pretty good if you can play it long enough to get sucked into the narrative. In many ways the game is actually executed the way ME3 should have been.

From a technical perspective, Andromeda is probably the best of them now. That being said, I don't have any doubt the Legendary Editions will work well out of the box. These were games that were sorted out in the months after release and most of their issues had been resolved. There are a couple I can really point to in ME2 and ME3, which will hopefully be addressed in the LE version. BioWare did state they fixed hundreds of issues, and again these are older games so I suspect they will work well despite the studio's reputation for releasing buggy ****.

There will certainly still be bugs and I have no doubt there may be some new ones thanks to the changes they've made under the hood. However, we won't be talking about anything on the level of Bethesda's or CDPR's unfinished games.

I've been meaning to try again.... I did launch it a year or so ago, took one look at goofy Ryder girl's face and turned it off. I don't usually bother to make my own character, but for this one I think I will have to

You, Dan, and I are probably the only three here that I've completed that game. I only committed to it about two years ago and was really surprised how much I ended up liking it.

You can add me to that list, though the jungle planet did make it hard for me as I got lost there so much I tought about giving up, but since I did that one when I was pretty far in I did not want to give up, if I had done that one at the start i might have.

Other then that I liked the game well enough, I did however get it delayed so it was already pretty much patched up when I got into it.

I've been meaning to try again.... I did launch it a year or so ago, took one look at goofy Ryder girl's face and turned it off. I don't usually bother to make my own character, but for this one I think I will have to
To think I like the default female Ryder...
It does have its issues and did launch in an unacceptable state. However, I never had trouble completing it. A lot of the crap the game took was over the early access version which wasn't the final retail build of the game and was quite different than the finished product. Yes, animations were screwed up but that was really the worst of it. In some ways the animation was still better than that of the trilogy as far as clipping issues and other problems went.
The saddest part to me was that, despite all the drama, the game was actually released in a completable state. I did back-to-back playthroughs on the two higher difficulty levels and aside from the shadowing on faces (what had made them so weird), the game ran great the whole time.
You, Dan, and I are probably the only three here that I've completed that game. I only committed to it about two years ago and was really surprised how much I ended up liking it.
I'll be going through it again after I run through the Trilogy, and money where my mouth is, my preorder is in.

No better way in a market to tell a company 'yes, I want more of this!' :)

To think I like the default female Ryder...

The saddest part to me was that, despite all the drama, the game was actually released in a completable state. I did back-to-back playthroughs on the two higher difficulty levels and aside from the shadowing on faces (what had made them so weird), the game ran great the whole time.

I'll be going through it again after I run through the Trilogy, and money where my mouth is, my preorder is in.

No better way in a market to tell a company 'yes, I want more of this!' :)

The problem was that the default female Ryder was better on the pre-release versions of the game. I actually always customize her because I hate the default presets for her. I usually play male Ryder, but you do have to deal with the sibling and even play them later on in the game for a brief section. So, you really can configure them both. Interestingly, the father's appearance can be set to be a combination of the twins. It's a cool design and an aspect of the game I thought was handled well.

I completed the game twice before they got the majority of the patching done. It was definitely not broken the way Bethesda games often are.

I completed Andromeda right after release and it was smooth sailing all the way. The only major bug I encountered that I was not able to complete a minor sidequest because the quest giver would not talk to me after completing the task. But I really couldn't care less about that, I wasn't doing a completionist playthrough. The sense of urgency is more broken in CP2077 than in ME:A.

Actually it was with ME:A that I first realized how utterly unreliable as a source of information the internet is about the quality of games. They will rave about games that I Find utter garbage (like outriders currently) and **** on games that are pretty good (CP2077 or Andromeda) or sometimes even **** on games that are freaking amazing like The Last of Us 2.

I completed Andromeda right after release and it was smooth sailing all the way. The only major bug I encountered that I was not able to complete a minor sidequest because the quest giver would not talk to me after completing the task. But I really couldn't care less about that, I wasn't doing a completionist playthrough. The sense of urgency is more broken in CP2077 than in ME:A.

Actually it was with ME:A that I first realized how utterly unreliable as a source of information the internet is about the quality of games. They will rave about games that I Find utter garbage (like outriders currently) and **** on games that are pretty good (CP2077 or Andromeda) or sometimes even **** on games that are freaking amazing like The Last of Us 2.
My first real playthrough, after a couple of years of tinkering with it, I went all in looking at everything I could find. Once I had a few hours in I was hooked. I think I spent a total of 40-50+ hours with it. Can't wait to go back and will probably do so once I get these and finish them. Just finishing up on my first complete Witcher playthrough from 1-3 so I'm actually looking forward to something similar with ME.

Edit: Oh yeah, totally agree about internet and most game reviews. My favorite sites are the ones I can dig through the forums and read real-world posts about them. Sure there's the occasional flame wars but dig deep enough and eventually there's a sincere, unbiased, here's what I experienced and thought of it. Those are the ones that usually influence me one way or another.

So I took a look at the IGN comparison video, and this is what BioWare is calling the "original" face in the default presets:

1617919743909.png

Thicker neck, squarer jaw, less pursed lips, etc. They made it more masculine looking for some reason, and changed her from a redhead to a brunette. At least they kept the feminine walking animation in the first game...

It's still better than the ugly default FemShep of Mass Effect 3.

I don't know if I've ever seen that- I've always imported a FemShep forward.

Not even sure if I care to...

Some people like the updated face. She never had the same texture and head model quality as the default BroShep. So, in ME3 they decided to give her one and they did. Unfortunately, she looks good only in specific angles. The new default head model looks really odd from some angles and to me, it's an unattractive model as a result.

The new default femshep they added in ME3 looks very bad imho. The one they call the "iconic" version in the video. LOL, iconic. Is there even one person in the world who used that to play through ME3?

Become a Patron!
Back