AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.4.1 Release

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner2.png

Introduction

AMD’s annual big AMD Radeon Software release is upon us.  What started in December of 2014 with AMD Catalyst Omega continues to this day, 2021 with a brand-new big software release with AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition.  The AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.4.1 Release is here.  This new driver version brings some big updates to the AMD Radeon Software suite to make your experience better.  It also brings new features and functionality, plus some improved UI elements. 

This driver isn’t so much about any big game performance updates, rather feature and user experience updates.  Although AMD emphasizes it continually updates drivers to improve performance over time for video cards, and it is...

Continue reading...

Bored, installed new driver package on Pop OS.

Didn't see any difference really, but it's comforting to see a bunch of lines whizzing by in Terminal. I'ma get me a cookie and some hot soup.

It's snowing here today!

Looks pretty nice.

I haven't had an AMD GPU for a while, but when I last did (Radeon HD 7970 in 2012) I remember thinking the Catalyst Control Center was rather limited compared to Nvidia Control Panel I was used to.

Looks like they have come a long way in narrowing the gap.

I don't claim to quite understand AMD' driver naming though. It used to be Catalyst, now it's apparently Adrenaline. What's wrong with just naming them "AMD Radeon Driver <version number>"?

Yeah AMD has put a lot into their driver team in the last 5 years. I’d put it ahead of nVidia right now. GeForce Experience can kiss my @ss.

Yeah AMD has put a lot into their driver team in the last 5 years. I’d put it ahead of nVidia right now. GeForce Experience can kiss my @ss.

Oh, I always select to not install the GeForce experience when I install Nvidia drivers. Its completely pointless to me. Everything I need is in the Nvidia control panel.

That and GeForce experience only works properly when you run it under an admin account, which is poor security practice. I ahve an admind account that only gets used when I need it. I do everything day to day in a restricted user account. Just about every software out there works well by popping up a UAC dialogue and asking for the admin pass when it needs it, but GeForce experience has always failed in this regard.

Same with Epic Game Store. I refuse to use it myself, but I have a young teenage stepson.

Expected experience:
1.) Run Epic game store under non-admin account.
2.) If you try to do anyhting that requires admin rights (install game, dependencies etc.) pop up UAC enter password.
3.) Software installs

This just doesn't work. If you want Epic to install anything at all, you have to log out of the restricted user account, and log in to the admin account and install it.

It's really stupid, but I guess that is to be expected out of Epic.

I installed "Just the Drivers" on my 5700XT.

So far so good.

Become a Patron!
Back