Good Cooler for a TR 3960X CPU?

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
So I finally delved into the Threadripper cpus.

Wow, everything about them is expensive! But I do a lot of video encodes so its worth it to me.

What is a descent cooler for one? My current one is idling at 65C using a Fractal design Celsius + S24 Dynamic X2.

@Dan_D might know; there are plenty of AIO setups that can mount to one, so that's not as big of an issue. It's more what else you want to accomplish and I dare say you might want to look at a custom loop instead, especially if you're trying to prioritize noise isolation / minimization.

When encoding the temps reach the mid to high 90s C also. Ouch!

When encoding the temps reach the mid to high 90s C also. Ouch!
I doubt fairly seriously that you're going to do significantly better. I'd honestly not be worried about < 100c. I'd be worried about more, but mostly I'd be worried if there was a noticeable / measurable / impactful performance deficit that could be alleviated by lowering temperatures.

If that's not the case, more of 'don't fix what ain't broke' kind of situation?

What settings are you running? The 3960x is a 280w chip, so it's going to get toasty under load if you're not cranking the pump and fans.

@Dan_D might know; there are plenty of AIO setups that can mount to one, so that's not as big of an issue. It's more what else you want to accomplish and I dare say you might want to look at a custom loop instead, especially if you're trying to prioritize noise isolation / minimization.

The only one I tested on a Threadripper myself was the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 TT Premium Edition. However, I tested it on a Threadripper 2990WX, not a 3960X. That being said, at the time the 2990WX was by far the hottest CPU I had tested up to that point. I hadn't yet reviewed the Intel Core i9 10980XE, which is the hottest CPU I've ever tested and one of the most power hungry and hot CPU's ever created for the desktop market.

The TT Floe Riing 360 TT Premium Edition can handle these types of CPU's, but no AIO is really ideal for CPU's of this caliber. I'd argue that going with watercooling makes a ton of sense and if you can afford a $1,500+ CPU, you can afford to watercool. However, watercooling does get more expensive than people often realize. I've probably got close to $1,000 worth of gear in my machine and that's not nothing even when buying $1,000+ CPU's. Now, having said that, it is my belief that you can't fully leverage a 10980XE without watercooling it. I've seen what they can do, and they are far better CPU's than they get credit for being, but you need custom water cooling to unlock that potential. It's different with the 3960X, which won't benefit as much from it.

However, I'd still probably go with a basic custom loop on the 3960X if I were you. But, if you just don't want to go there then a high quality 360 AIO can get the job done.

Bought the Fractal Design Define 7 case for it too.
That should give you plenty of options! I have several Define cases still in service today, each prior main gaming box rig housings. Generally well put together with enough extra kit to seriously be able to meet a lot of target workloads.

Become a Patron!
Back