Verizon Sells AOL and Yahoo for $5 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
aol-floppy-disk-1024x576.jpg
Image: Thiago A.

Verizon has sold Verizon Media, its media division comprising classic online service provider AOL and web portal Yahoo, to investment firm Apollo Global Management in a deal that’s estimated to be worth $5 billion. This appears to be a loss for Verizon, as the telecommunications giant originally paid $9 billion for the two subsidiaries. Verizon will maintain a 10 percent stake in Verizon Media, which will be known as Yahoo at the close of the transaction.

Verizon sells AOL and Yahoo for about half of what it paid https://t.co/KcCizdEubU pic.twitter.com/YVMR4D32sE— The Verge (@verge) May 3, 2021

Verizon originally paid $4.4 billion for AOL in 2015 and another $4.5 billion for Yahoo two years later. The...

Continue reading...

Don't forget the value of all of the Metadata they pillaged and leveraged for profit before moving to sell. I doubt they actually lost money.

Don't forget the value of all of the Metadata they pillaged and leveraged for profit before moving to sell. I doubt they actually lost money.

That's the only way this makes any sense. What's weird is that Apollo Global Management thinks AOL and Yahoo! are actually worth 5 billion dollars. These are vestiges of the early internet age and seem irrelevant and obsolete.

I've had a yahoo email address since...99 or 2000...

That's the only way this makes any sense. What's weird is that Apollo Global Management thinks AOL and Yahoo! are actually worth 5 billion dollars. These are vestiges of the early internet age and seem irrelevant and obsolete.

To add some insight to this just look at other Apollo group holdings and what they are doing. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Yahoo/AOL move to being another cloud vendor in short order. Why? They are a founding powerhouse of the internet if in name only. That name and standing will mean something to business executives choosing a cloud vendor. Especially if they do it well.

Become a Patron!
Back