NVIDIA Won’t Be Releasing Updated GeForce RTX 30 Series Founders Editions with Lite Hash Rate Mining Limiter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA has confirmed that its GeForce RTX 30 Series Founders Edition graphics cards will not be refreshed with Lite Hash Rate (LHR) updates that reduce their ability to mine the Ethereum blockchain’s native currency, Ether (ETH). The statement was received by PC Gamer, which suggested that green team’s decision could mean that the GeForce RTX 3080, GeForce RTX 3070, and GeForce RTX 3060 Ti are reaching end of life. NVIDIA’s new Lite Hash Rate designation will only appear in custom variants from third-party manufacturers.

Image: NVIDIA

“Founders Edition is a limited production graphics card sold at MSRP,” Nvidia told us this afternoon, “and at...

Continue reading...

I guess there is a lot here that isn't surprising.

Founders Editions were always just that - initial runs when the chips were new for "Founders". They were never really full lifecycle production cards. Half the reason they were historically higher than MSRP (although I don't think that was the case with Turing) was that they were limited edition runs.

Likewise, I'm not surprised nV wouldn't use LHR on their own cards. Why would they ever want to limit the marketplace? But I could certainly see, with some winks and nods, having some agreements with the AIBs to provide them in some fashion -- even if it's only lower-margin SKUs or in limited quantities.

Become a Patron!
Back