NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner1-1024x442.jpg

Introduction

NVIDIA’s “TIE” series of video cards continues today with the launch of its new flagship Ti. Announced at Computex 2021, and launched today is the new GeForce RTX 3080 Ti. We’ve got a GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition video card to review today. MSRP will be set at $1,199 for the Founders Edition, at least, that is what the official price will be, actual street pricing will vary based on demand and supply.

For comparison, the GeForce RTX 3090 Founders...
Continue reading...

Last edited:
From the looks of it, the 3080 Ti Should have been the 3090, with the 3090 then being deemed the "Titan" replacement card. MSRP between the 3080 and 3080 Ti is just too large for it to be the incremental update it is (IE: 8-12% performance gain, for a 70+% increase in MSRP)

The 3090 link above is broken:
OOPS! THAT PAGE CAN’T BE FOUND.

It resolves to this

Also, in the review the 3090FE is linked incorrectly to:
This is an overclocked Gigabyte version card!
Wassup guys?

Last edited:
The 3090 link is broken:

It resolves to this

Not broken on the main article, only in the forum preview (manually ninja fixed that) - there's an issue with links with the Front page -> forum integration that I've had open in a bug ticket with them forever. It pulls the attributes in as part of the link which borks it (i.e. open in new tab, etc).

Not broken on the main article, only in the forum preview (manually ninja fixed that) - there's an issue with links with the Front page -> forum integration that I've had open in a bug ticket with them forever. It pulls the attributes in as part of the link which borks it (i.e. open in new tab, etc).
Unfortunately the 3090FE link in the article takes us to a Gigabyte 3090 OC card.

Nice review, I'm glad you gave us the sustained clock speeds for our own comparison.
Looks like a great competitive gaming card.

I wonder why they call it their flagship gaming card when the 3090 is also classed as a gaming card?
It is no longer Titan branded.

Why do people keep saying that 10GB is not enough ram? I've seen ZERO evidence to support that even at 4K.
The RTX3080 mostly beats the RX3800XT at 4k where the extra ram should make a difference.
Heck the RTX3070 "only has" 8gb but easily matches the RTX2080Ti with 11gb.

Besides DLSS make it even less of an issue.

From the looks of it, the 3080 Ti Should have been the 3090, with the 3090 then being deemed the "Titan" replacement card. MSRP between the 3080 and 3080 Ti is just too large for it to be the incremental update it is (IE: 8-12% performance gain, for a 70+% increase in MSRP)
Or it could have been the RTX3090SE :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice review, I'm glad you gave us the sustained clock speeds for our own comparison.
Looks like a great competitive gaming card.

I wonder why they call it their flagship gaming card when the 3090 is also classed as a gaming card?
It is no longer Titan branded.

I think they are really trying to pull the 3080 Ti and 3090 apart now, classify the 3080 Ti as the gaming card where 12GB is enough and they can make more since it requires less memory, and in a way put it in peoples minds the 3090 is more toward a different spectrum of user who requires 24GB of VRAM for specific applications.

Perhaps not well planned out in the beginning, but they are trying to make adjustments on the fly.

Why do people keep saying that 10GB is not enough ram? I've seen ZERO evidence to support that even at 4K.
The RTX3080 mostly beats the RX3800XT at 4k where the extra ram should make a difference.
Heck the RTX3070 "only has" 8gb but easily matches the RTX2080Ti with 11gb.

Besides DLSS make it even less of an issue.

From my testing on the 3070, it hits a vram wall in a handful of games at 4k, and even 1440p in Watch Dogs:Legion. Since the distance between 8 and 10 isn't that far, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the next major game to take full advantage of what the 30 series can do could bust through the 10gb like the koolaid man through a wall.

The only examples today of 10gb not being enough are likely the same examples where even with 20gb, the gpu would not have a shot at running that configuration...

From my testing on the 3070, it hits a vram wall in a handful of games at 4k, and even 1440p in Watch Dogs:Legion. Since the distance between 8 and 10 isn't that far, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the next major game to take full advantage of what the 30 series can do could bust through the 10gb like the koolaid man through a wall.

The only examples today of 10gb not being enough are likely the same examples where even with 20gb, the gpu would not have a shot at running that configuration...

Not to say I don't believe you, but Guru3d begs to differ. RX6800 16GB, RTX 2080Ti 11GB and RTX30708GB perform very much the same.

1622672936389.png

Not to say I don't believe you, but Guru3d begs to differ. RX6800 16GB, RTX 2080Ti 11GB and RTX30708GB perform very much the same.

Without RTX on, that's true. I should have clarified - ultra ray tracing at 4k is where I hit the wall. Keep in mind it was also 6 months ago (aka many patches and driver revisions).

Specifically, the issue I was seeing was very inconsistent performance in the 3070. I was seeing 50-90% swings in average FPS per run through that I wasn't seeing on the 2080 Ti. The in game vram needed calculator was also over 8gb. Since the main difference there is 3gb of vram and the 2080 Ti's performance was at least consistent, I concluded that vram was my issue. DLSS helped with the 3070, things were more consistent, but then odd stuff like overclocked performance being slower than stock started popping up.

It's entirely possible it's been buffed in the past 6 months - that's just what I experienced with the MSI 3070 Gaming X review work...

Drooling and wishing I knew who stab in the throat to get something like this. Can you Ebay children? I mean Dems are in power, that should be a thing, right?

I'd probably have to pay to get them back....

This is not a PC part conducive era

Yes, because that is the card we used in the review to compare with.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be an ***, but on the review page it says
For comparison, the GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition video card ...
Where bolded is the link.
The review in the link isnt the FE, its the Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC.

It would be better to forward the 3090 FE link to NVidias site for now (until you do your review) and add another link in your 3080Ti review for the Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC card comparison.

My humble opinion :)

I think they are really trying to pull the 3080 Ti and 3090 apart now, classify the 3080 Ti as the gaming card where 12GB is enough and they can make more since it requires less memory, and in a way put it in peoples minds the 3090 is more toward a different spectrum of user who requires 24GB of VRAM for specific applications.

Perhaps not well planned out in the beginning, but they are trying to make adjustments on the fly.
IIRC, they (including JHH himself broadcasting from his 'kitchen') did point out that the 3090 was more or less for content creation and ultimate gaming.

The biggest issue is that 10GB or 12GB might only be enough for a bit longer, and well, some of us still own GTX970s ;)

IIRC, they (including JHH himself broadcasting from his 'kitchen') did point out that the 3090 was more or less for content creation and ultimate gaming.

The biggest issue is that 10GB or 12GB might only be enough for a bit longer, and well, some of us still own GTX970s ;)
My fear is by the time you can actually get one, the 10/12GB limit will be surpassed. :D

Become a Patron!
Back