SilverStone SX1000 1000W SFX-L Power Supply Review

Paul_Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
SilverStone SX1000

SilverStoneTek is a company best known for its high-quality cases but its product lines extend into other components such as cooling, power supplies (of various model lines that range from 300W to 1350W in DC output), fans, and storage solutions. SilverStone has built up this impressive product repertoire since its founding in 2003. For this review, we are looking at the SX1000 (model number SST-SX1000-LPT) which is one of SilverStone’s SFX (small form factor)-L products. It is produced in conjunction with Enhance.

Enhance Electronics Co. Ltd. was founded more than 30 years ago in 1986. While a major power supply OEM Enhance is not nearly as well known to most users as some other OEMs as its core business focus has been outside of the desktop market in areas such as servers, embedded, and...

Continue reading...

Excellent review as always Paul! I have a question though. When you wrote:
In addition to that, we saw efficiency that ranged from 8 88.90% to 91.02% efficient at 120v AC input and 87.18% to 90.18% efficient at 100v AC input. These numbers would be very good for any unit, but this is not just any unit it is a 1000W SFX-L unit! On the flip side, this unit did miss its advertised 80 Plus Platinum levels by up to 1%.
Doesn't that constitute a fail for testing?

Excellent review as always Paul! I have a question though. When you wrote:

Doesn't that constitute a fail for testing?
Seems like many, if not most, units miss their 80 plus rating in real life testing. The rating is probably done under very ideal and known conditions.

That, and 1% could very well just be instrument and testing error.

Seems like many, if not most, units miss their 80 plus rating in real life testing. The rating is probably done under very ideal and known conditions.

Oh, I'm not saying that the unit is bad at all, but just pointing out the fallacy in their marketing being a reason to fail the unit.

There is also component variations and such that once all of those stack you get different numbers from different units in the same batch even.

I'm still wondering what the use-case is.

I mean really, who did they build this for?

On the one hand, you have an efficient delivery of 1000w of DC in a compact size.

On the other: you have 1000w of power delivery available that you'd very likely not want to try to cool in a small space

Become a Patron!
Back