All Windows 11 Laptops Will Require Front-Facing Webcams by 2023

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
windows-11-tablet-device-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Windows 11 will make webcams mandatory in laptops and other devices by 2023. This is according to a document that Microsoft has released elaborating on the minimum hardware requirements for its upcoming OS, which includes a section noting that all devices running Windows 11 (“except desktop PC”) are required to have a forward-facing camera starting from January 1, 2023. While a rear-facing camera is optional, the forward-facing camera must support certain features as high-definition resolution, auto exposure, and auto white balance. This could be a concern for security-minded individuals who are paranoid about being hacked and video recorded, although it’s something that could easily be remedied with masking tape or some other sort of covering...

Continue reading...

Interesting that it's just laptops, and doesn't say anything about Desktops... just "other devices", which I'm guessing are tablets and other mobile things.

With all the fuss over the TPM and CPU requirements, I feel this one has been overlooked. And personally, it really bothers me. I can't think of any reason that this would be a "requirement". If it's required for certain features, that makes sense. But a flat out requirement doesn't. Especially since desktop PCs are excluded...

If somebody knows more about this or can give an example of why it would be required, I'm honestly all ears.

I realized that disabling the webcam also disables the mic in the laptop, so tape is a must.

Why would this be an OS requirement however is beyond any reason. What's MS up to? You can only log in to your own computer after facial recognition?

I mean all laptops in 2021 should have webcams for crying out loud

No. Why would you ever need one?

It's just a waste.

My computer is not a **** tablet. I don't need or want any stinking cameras.

The only thing they are good for is Zoom/Facetimie Video chat type of things, and that is just stupid., There is no reason to ever see the face of the person you are talking to.

I mean all laptops in 2021 should have webcams for crying out loud

Right? I have an ancient Asus zenbook from 2013ish and it has one. Also came with Windows 8 according to the sticker on the bottom (I wiped it on day 1, LOL. Now it has Mint on it and is purely for Chrome use)

I have told everyone I don’t have a camera. Then I tell them I’m on a Mac.

They just accept that of course macs can’t have cameras. I’m ok with that misconception.

If somebody knows more about this or can give an example of why it would be required, I'm honestly all ears.

Might be because it would be easier for a laptop to get left behind/stolen then a desktop and would be more secure if it requires face id.

Not that I am ok with the whole thing.

Multi-factor authentication.

I realized that disabling the webcam also disables the mic in the laptop, so tape is a must.
Figure if you're not interested in unconsented monitoring, that'd include the mic too...

Along with the worst camera that can be found, laptops usually have the worst microphones. Apple is probably the lone high-end exception here.

I get using it in a pinch, but that's really all these are good for.

Figure if you're not interested in unconsented monitoring, that'd include the mic too...

Along with the worst camera that can be found, laptops usually have the worst microphones. Apple is probably the lone high-end exception here.

Actually Apple is often dinged for having a pretty crappy forward facing camera. I think it’s only 720p or something

Actually Apple is often dinged for having a pretty crappy forward facing camera. I think it’s only 720p or something
Low-resolution, but otherwise not too terrible. Apple also has some pretty good software to back up their cameras, whereas Dell has whatever Microsoft has, as an example.

A big differentiator is how bad the overall image looks in good light. 720p would be an improvement for a lot of these :)

Low-resolution, but otherwise not too terrible. Apple also has some pretty good software to back up their cameras, whereas Dell has whatever Microsoft has, as an example.

A big differentiator is how bad the overall image looks in good light. 720p would be an improvement for a lot of these :)
Yeah your right. It's just usually the only bad thing (apart from the word "Apple" and the price) that anyone can say about Apple's hardware.

But when I need to talk to someone it is not possible unless I enable the camera too. The mic is good enough for work discussion, don't need it for anything else. And judging by "professional" youtubers usually the better mic they buy the ****tier they sound, but that's probably related to their professionalism.

Yeah your right. It's just usually the only bad thing (apart from the word "Apple" and the price) that anyone can say about Apple's hardware.
Unless it breaks, then you are in a world of trouble. And they break more often than other products, so it's not a question of if, but when.

Become a Patron!
Back