Amazon’s New World MMO Is Killing NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
new-world-key-art-1024x577.jpg
Image: Amazon Game Studios

Amazon’s upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game, New World, is reportedly so demanding and poorly developed that it’s destroying select graphics cards such as NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3090. This is according to various closed beta testers who have vented their frustration on New World’s official forums and other social channels, claiming that their GPUs no longer function after attempting to run the game. Many of the complaints appear to be coming from EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA owners.

https://t.co/2lMvhQFOvaHere’s a forum of the same thing happening to others.— Gladd (@Gladd) July 21, 2021

So after hitting the play button for New World beta the game started to load, followed immediately by fan speeds increasing...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife was telling me about this, this morning. Why would a game cause the graphics card to overheat and pop? Wouldn't that be the fault of the driver?? I thought thermal protections were provided by the Hardware/Driver.

My wife was telling me about this, this morning. Why would a game cause the graphics card to overheat and pop? Wouldn't that be the fault of the driver?? I thought thermal protections were provided by the Hardware/Driver.

I've seen it before. I'm not sure what causes this or why it happens but some games can actually cause this behavior in a game. Star Wars: The Old Republic used to do this with certain AMD Radeon HD cards like the 7970. Now, the cards wouldn't die but despite the game not being that demanding, the card would run so hot that the computer would either lockup or the screen would go black followed by a reboot. I'd run the fan at 100% and the temperature on that game alone would creep up to throttling level and eventually, a black screen and reboot or a hard lock up. It would run for 20 to 30 minutes all the while heat soaking itself and then eventually crossing the throttling threshold so fast the video card would just stop doing anything.

If I ran the fans at standard speeds or leave it on automatic, you could game on it for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, the card would crush whatever AAA games were out at the time in the same system without issue. In doing some research on the problem back then, I found out that it wasn't unheard of. I've since heard of this with various NVIDIA cards and specific games but its pretty rare. It also doesn't happen to everyone.

I was thinking that too, GPU these day have thermal protections to prevent these sort of stuff unless somehow the software is circumventing these protection. This issue reminds me of Starcraft II all over again though this time is seems to be only affecting EVGA cards.

I was thinking that too, GPU these day have thermal protections to prevent these sort of stuff unless somehow the software is circumventing these protection. This issue reminds me of Starcraft II all over again though this time is seems to be only affecting EVGA cards.

I doubt it's circumventing thermal protection. It's probably doing something that's causing them to heat up so fast that the thermal protection doesn't have time to do its job before damage occurs.

Still shocking that this is happening. This is one beta I don't want a part of.

I recall doom3 really stressed my FX 5900 a lot to the point of overheating and lockup, but not my FX6800, wierd...

My GT 1030 is ready. Passive cooling, got a Lasko box fan on it....

This game has no appeal to me. Looks like every other MMO out there. Sure to be a pay to win

Amazon provided a comment for us, so it has been added to the post.

Now that Amazon mentions it, I do seem to recall that cases of runaway temps on graphics cards in specific games often came down to excessively high frame rates in specific conditions being part of that. By the sound of it, the patch should fix that.

Reminds me of the 'power virus' description that Furmark got from AMD... still surprising that it's even possible, though.

I get that there's more juice going through GPUs than CPUs, but Intel had this figured decades ago. Some of us found out the hard way with S462 CPUs when coolers failed that AMD hadn't quite figured it out yet. Intel CPUs would just shut down.

Guess Nvidia hasn't fully figured it out yet either :oops:

Reminds me of the 'power virus' description that Furmark got from AMD... still surprising that it's even possible, though.

I get that there's more juice going through GPUs than CPUs, but Intel had this figured decades ago. Some of us found out the hard way with S462 CPUs when coolers failed that AMD hadn't quite figured it out yet. Intel CPUs would just shut down.

Guess Nvidia hasn't fully figured it out yet either :oops:
well apparently it only happens with EVGA some RTX30390, so its more like EVGA's fault, rathen than nvidia's.

well apparently it only happens with EVGA some RTX30390, so its more like EVGA's fault, rathen than nvidia's.
Sort of?

Again, the Intel CPUs would shut themselves down. You could still damage them from applying too much voltage through the motherboard, but that was your choice.

This is an MMO. Yeah, they can turn on all the pretties, but do you really expect loading up a game to kill a GPU?

Hmm. I do have an EVGA 3090 FTW3 and XC3 here I could test this out with. I think I'll pass though.

They had my 'pass' at Amazon MMO. Both parts, really. Games that start to feel like jobs just don't hold my attention, and believe me, I've tried.

As for working to demonstrate that it's a problem, maybe you can get someone to sponsor the test?

:cool:

I don't care for MMO's. I have even less interest in playing one that could potentially fry me RTX 3090 FE.

I'd imagine 3080Ti's are also effected since they're basically the same card as a 3090.

I'd imagine 3080Ti's are also effected since they're basically the same card as a 3090.

I don't think so.

The 3080 ti is like a traditional GPU

the 3090 has extra memory that needs additional cooling & monitoring

Become a Patron!
Back