12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900K “Alder Lake” Flagship CPU Outscores AMD Ryzen 9 5950X In Cinebench Tests

Is it a really 16 core CPU or a 8+8?

I'm curious as how will windows 11 use the cores.
Good question.

It's 8+8, and only the high speed cores have HT, so 24 simultaneous threads.

Will need some Windows tweaks to handle the bigLITTLE arrangement

Intel Core i9-12900K features a hybrid architecture featuring 8 high-performance Golden Cove cores as well as 8 high-efficiency Gracemont cores. This configuration gives 16 cores and 24 threads, as the smaller cores do not support hyperthreading. In terms of clocks, the 12900K should boost up to 5.3 GHz on Golden Cove and up to 3.9 GHz with Gracemont.

Good question.

It's 8+8, and only the high speed cores have HT, so 24 simultaneous threads.

Will need some Windows tweaks to handle the bigLITTLE arrangement
I probably missphrased my question. My point is, will all cpu threads run simultaneously?

I probably missphrased my question. My point is, will all cpu threads run simultaneously?
I'd figured that they would, but now that I think about it, could definitely go either way.

So we'll see!

I would think they could if there is a reason to, like gaming on 1 monitor will use the big cores and browsing on another could use some smaller ones etc..

I would think they could if there is a reason to, like gaming on 1 monitor will use the big cores and browsing on another could use some smaller ones etc..
Depends a lot on how it’s built - they run at different frequencies and power envelopes - wouldn’t do much good to power up the small cores if it has to downclock the big cores to 3.7

M1 can run all 8 of its cores simultaneously but I don’t know how it clocks everything, and it rarely will do so - if there is a heavy intensive process it will load the fast cores only and then you see the UI and other front processes still running on the slower cores. There it’s tied heavily to a process QOS setting they use in their scheduler, so there is a big software component Microsoft is going to have to provide.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back