Lucasfilm Releases First Trailer for Star Wars Anime Anthology, Star Wars: Visions

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-visions-sneak-peek-lightsaber-1024x576.jpg
Image: Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm has released the first trailer for its latest show, Star Wars: Visions.

Premiering exclusively on Disney+, Star Wars: Visions is an upcoming anthology series that will tell new Star Wars stories through the lens of various Japanese anime creators. There will be nine animated shorts in total, each of which can be viewed with either the original Japanese voice cast or an English dub.

While anime fans typically lean toward the original Japanese language tracks, Star Wars: Visions does benefit from a notable English voice cast. It includes Temuera Morrison, Jango Fett and Boba Fett’s original actor, as well as other recognizable talents such as Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Mortal Kombat), Lucy Liu (Charlie’s Angels), and Neil Patrick Harris (Starship Troopers).

“Lucasfilm is partnering with seven of the most talented anime studios in...

Continue reading...

I'll reserve judgement - this actually has me more interested than any of the last movies.

I'm rather underwhelmed by that trailer. I admit I'll watch it and give it a fair shake, but I'm not hopeful.

So far I haven't been dissapointed by anything that disney has released so far Marvel/SW wise.

Lets see how this goes...

So far I haven't been dissapointed by anything that disney has released so far Marvel/SW wise.

Lets see how this goes...

****ing seriously? If nothing else, Episodes VII, VIII and IX were absolute trash. They aren't just bad Star Wars, they are bad movies. The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker literally fall into "objectively" bad territory with lore breaking issues, plots that make no sense, bad fight scenes, stupid characters, **** cinematography and poor treatment / inconsistent writing and characterization of legacy characters. Besides the special effects themselves they are absolute trash.

I genuinely liked Rogue One. I thought Solo was better than people give it credit for but it's still mediocre. The Mandalorian is enjoyable, but I think it's not nearly as good as people say it is. Mainly, it's that the bar has been set so low that anything

On the Marvel side, most of the movies have been enjoyable for me. I do think that the quality is dropping and that their best days are likely behind them. Captain Marvel was a soggy **** sandwich. I understand Black Widow isn't good, though I can't verify that for myself as I haven't seen it. On the TV side Marvel has been an almost totally unmitigated disaster. The Gift was awful, The Runaways is awful, Cloak and Dagger got boring. The Netflix stuff was generally badly paced and didn't really fit the MCU all that well. Agents of Shield had a slow start but got better over time. I'll give them that one. Legion has been solid, but some of these things aren't MCU, they are from the Fox/X-Men universe.

I've seen basically every comic book show and movie out there. I'm an avid Star Wars fan and I've got to say we have gotten more bad than good out of Disney lately.

****ing seriously? If nothing else, Episodes VII, VIII and IX were absolute trash. They aren't just bad Star Wars, they are bad movies. The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker literally fall into "objectively" bad territory with lore breaking issues, plots that make no sense, bad fight scenes, stupid characters, **** cinematography and poor treatment / inconsistent writing and characterization of legacy characters. Besides the special effects themselves they are absolute trash.

I genuinely liked Rogue One. I thought Solo was better than people give it credit for but it's still mediocre. The Mandalorian is enjoyable, but I think it's not nearly as good as people say it is. Mainly, it's that the bar has been set so low that anything

On the Marvel side, most of the movies have been enjoyable for me. I do think that the quality is dropping and that their best days are likely behind them. Captain Marvel was a soggy **** sandwich. I understand Black Widow isn't good, though I can't verify that for myself as I haven't seen it. On the TV side Marvel has been an almost totally unmitigated disaster. The Gift was awful, The Runaways is awful, Cloak and Dagger got boring. The Netflix stuff was generally badly paced and didn't really fit the MCU all that well. Agents of Shield had a slow start but got better over time. I'll give them that one. Legion has been solid, but some of these things aren't MCU, they are from the Fox/X-Men universe.

I've seen basically every comic book show and movie out there. I'm an avid Star Wars fan and I've got to say we have gotten more bad than good out of Disney lately.
I meant new shows on disney+

Oh....

On that front, I've liked Mandalorian and Wanda Vision. I haven't seen Loki.
IMO, Mandalorian is #1. Then Falcon and WinterSoldier, Wandavision and Loki. I also liked the bad batch and so far What If seems ok.

BTW I agree with pretty much everything you said, except Solo was trash, no wonder its the least grossing SW film and single handedly killed the StarWars Story franchise.

I would summerize Disney SW like this:
TFA was a bit looking forward to it and was very disappointed.
Rogue One fell asleep, tried again, fell asleep again? Maybe I finished... Maybe.
The Last Jedi, I saw mostly drunk, laughed a lot, tought it had a lot of comedy in it (apparently it doesn't) . Not gonna revisit it since I have good memories.
Solo, fell asleep (I think my wife too) .
No we don't normally fall asleep watching movies, just very very terrible ones.
The Rise of Skywalker if whatever is called haven't watched, don't think I will.
As far as this series go, started the one of defective clones, didn't take for me for now. This stuff I may try, maybe.

The Disney + shows have certainly been better than the latest Star Wars movies IMO. As far as Marvel goes the movies have been great (haven't seen Black Widow), and their Disney + shows have been pretty good for the most part. What If? started out fairly well so hopefully that keeps up.

BTW I agree with pretty much everything you said, except Solo was trash, no wonder its the least grossing SW film and single handedly killed the StarWars Story franchise.

Solo grossed lower because people actively boycotted the thing over the Last Jedi. It was also a film that no one was all that interested in seeing. It did kill all the spin offs, as it told Lucasfilm & Disney it had no idea what it was doing.

I enjoyed Solo, there were some bits with technical things being done half hazard that made me go... wow ok.. moving on. But overall I thought they did a good job. Enjoyed the characters and the story.

I'm a rare bird though. I enjoyed all of the star wars movies... well other than Jar Jar... even the latest ones were fun for me because I could go in not looking for the 'OHMAGAWD GIRLS REALLY?' line of things and just enjoy the movie for the movie.

As far as marvel.. yea I enjoyed most of the MCU, I haven't seen ant man and wasp. Ant man just... I dunno. I just didn't connect. Maybe because I read the Ultimate Avengers line of comics/Graphic Novels first and he's an self obsessed abuser in that one. Glad they didn't go down that line of thought though.

I think I’m more in line with Grimalkin. The movies were - ok. I enjoyed them. They weren’t legendary though, and banked on the name recognition and nostalgia more than anything. But I liked 7-8-9 better than 1-2-3, but that doesn’t mean they came close to 4-5-6.

But for just sci-fi entertainment they were your average, forgettable pulp. Most people who are angry are so because it didn’t live up to the Star Wars legacy, and I won’t argue with them, I just am not a big enough fan to get upset about it.

My wife, on the other hand, is like Dan and almost breaks out in tears talking about it.

I’m tired and bored of over-the-top super hero films now though. The Watchman has probably been my favorite to date.

I enjoyed Solo, there were some bits with technical things being done half hazard that made me go... wow ok.. moving on. But overall I thought they did a good job. Enjoyed the characters and the story.
I didn't see solo, because of the Last Jedi, haven't seen Rise of SkyPalpatine either.

I'm a rare bird though. I enjoyed all of the star wars movies... well other than Jar Jar... even the latest ones were fun for me because I could go in not looking for the 'OHMAGAWD GIRLS REALLY?' line of things and just enjoy the movie for the movie.
This is the official false narrative. Most people liked Rogue One, I think that is the best Disney era SW content they had put out. That alone should tell you that it's not about "OHMAGAWD GIRLS" :rolleyes: Force Awakens, was OK at best with some flaws. Last Jedi was an absolute dumpster fire, as a movie.

As for this show, it seems like peak stupidity for lucasfilm. A star wars anime wished for by nobody. They just think that because anime is popular putting an anime wrap on their crap will instantly make it a success. Not. Good content sells, regardless of the packaging.

As for this show, it seems like peak stupidity for lucasfilm. A star wars anime wished for by nobody. They just think that because anime is popular putting an anime wrap on their crap will instantly make it a success. Not. Good content sells, regardless of the packaging.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Anime is absolutely killing American comic sales. Series like Demon Slayer and some anime films are doing very well in the United States right now. Marvel comics and DC are an absolute **** show and sales are in the toilet. When you look at the stories they are doing, the terrible art styles, bad writing and political agenda pushing it's easy to see why.

Naturally, Disney has the wrong idea about why anime is popular. It's because it lacks the "wokeness" of American comics and TV shows. However, I do not feel that progressive messaging is really the reason why we are in such a bad place right now. Hollywood has always been left leaning. But the real problem is now Hollywood doesn't understand subtlety. There is no craft in what they are doing. If something doesn't cause controversy, it's not good enough. It's really the diversity hiring and company mandates to include more messaging that are the root of this. Veteran creators won't play ball or are incapable of thinking the way executives want them to and hire these younger people. Even if they have some innate talent for writing or what have you, a lot of them are young an inexperienced.

Creative writing in any form is something that requires practice, criticism and a lot of time to get right. Even when someone is young and talented, they'll do better as they hone their craft. When you research the writers on a lot of these shows and franchises that are crashing and burning, you'll find that the writing staff has virtually no experience. They'll have no experience writing comics, comic book films, fictional TV shows, science fiction or anything of the sort. Some of them have only a couple of writing credits before getting their jobs. Companies seem to think that they need younger creators to produce content that younger people will like. The idea here is they can court these future customers early and keep them for a long time.

Unfortunately, the demographic with the largest amount of disposable income aren't younger audiences. They aren't the biggest consumers of these shows and merchandise. More than that, I think it's a mistake to think that young writers are required to relate to young people. Telling a good story with likable characters often transcends social boundaries. Take a show like Star Trek that used to appeal to people in every demographic you can imagine. Now, they've alienated their core fanbase and the companies that used to produce merchandise want nothing to do with Abrams / Kurtzman Trek.

The real problem here compared to what we see in previous decades is the Internet. Information proliferates quicker than people can adapt to it in terms of entertainment production which now takes longer than ever. More specifically, its a problem of the vocal minority stealing the spotlight and making companies think those are their customers when they are in fact, not their core customers or they are the type of people who will never be happy no matter what you present them. This is why I think companies are out of touch with reality and what people want.

Most people just turn off a show they don't like. They might complain to family and friends but most people will simply ignore it and not make much of a fuss about it. However, your blue checkmark crowd will go on an on at length making Youtube videos, screaming about XYZ or endlessly posting on forums about how wrong they think something is. In other words, the core customers aren't screaming as loud as the vocal minority that can't be pleased no matter what. Companies don't know who to listen to so they tend to choose the ones who scream the loudest thinking that's likely the right choice. They can't understand that when it comes to the internet, it's often the loudest voices that need to be ignored.

Solo grossed lower because people actively boycotted the thing over the Last Jedi. It was also a film that no one was all that interested in seeing. It did kill all the spin offs, as it told Lucasfilm & Disney it had no idea what it was doing.
I see the boycott argument frequently from people who for some reason liked Solo. It bombed because its a bad movie, simple as that (might have been a decent TV episode, but that's another issue). BTW why was it the only "boycotted" movie/series in the whole SW franchise? Heck not even RoSW was boycotted.

Disney must pay me handsomely to sit through any of that trash.

Yeah, You could not pay me to watch any Anime, let alone to see the Star Wars franchise raped in this manner.

I watched Akira once in the 90's it was the worst turd I've ever seen on screen.

Then I was forced to sit through my smelly geek roommates stupid fascination with dragonballs in college, which drove me up a wall.

Seriously. **** all anime. **** it long and **** it hard. You won't ever find me watching any of that garbage, or playing any game that uses an anime art style.

Become a Patron!
Back