Lucasfilm Releases First Trailer for Star Wars Anime Anthology, Star Wars: Visions

I see the boycott argument frequently from people who for some reason liked Solo. It bombed because its a bad movie, simple as that (might have been a decent TV episode, but that's another issue). BTW why was it the only "boycotted" movie/series in the whole SW franchise? Heck not even RoSW was boycotted.

Like all of these situations, it wasn't any one thing that caused the issue. However, if it was just a bad movie then it would have had a strong opening followed by a super sharp decline in the subsequent week or so. The film opened a good 30 million below expectations and 50 million under Rogue One which gives credence to the boycott argument. Beyond that, it was a movie based on a premise no one really asked for. Movies tend to make 50% of their revenue in roughly 21 days at that time. It tapers off after that but picks up the rest of the revenue over the next several weeks of release.

When a movie has a weak opening and continues to falter, its because people aren't going to see it AND people that did weren't happy with what they saw. Personally, I think the movie gets far more **** than it deserves. It's a decent heist movie and does a fair bit of justice to Han Solo's story until the last few minutes of the story where he's a hero at heart and where he needs saving by a 110lbs. "strong woman".

That aside, the movie was widely panned as both a backlash for the Last Jedi and rumors that Lando was "pansexual". There were also a lot of people who didn't bother because they couldn't see anyone but Harrison Ford in the role he made so iconic. I'm not saying the boycotts were the only reason the movie did badly. Far from it. However, I think it was a strong contributing factor. The opening weekend alone flat shows us that fewer people went to see it than went to see Rogue One.

The Rise of Skywalker wasn't as hated as the Last Jedi. But, all of them after Episode VII did worse than the previous film. None of them in the Palpatine trilogy did badly financially, but were often divisive among fans and that's being overly simplistic and kind.

Yeah, You could not pay me to watch any Anime, let alone to see the Star Wars franchise raped in this manner.

I watched Akira once in the 90's it was the worst turd I've ever seen on screen.

Then I was forced to sit through my smelly geek roommates stupid fascination with dragonballs in college, which drove me up a wall.

Seriously. **** all anime. **** it long and **** it hard. You won't ever find me watching any of that garbage, or playing any game that uses an anime art style.

Given that the anime stories are all new stories, calling it "rape" is a bit much. Many franchises have anime installments that vary in quality but anime or animation as a whole is fine.

That said, I'm not a fan of most anime either. Akira is probably the most overrated anime film of all time. Dragon Ball-Z is something I never understood anymore than I understood Pokemon. There are some good ones out there though. I rather like the art style of some specific anime shows or films, but what often gets me are the tropes which plague the medium. I could go on an on in a thread about that alone. Sadly, I wouldn't have time to type that up anytime soon.

The tropes and "sameness' of a lot of it keeps me critical of the vast majority of anime. But again, I wouldn't blanketly say that all anime is garbage or trash. It's a lot better than the animated **** coming out of America. Sure, South Park and some other shows may be funny or whatever but their artwork sucks. Other animation is infected by wokeness same as the comic book industry, which is why manga and anime are killing them in sales.

If you dislike Anime I understand. I do NOT get some of the modern anime out there at all.

I DO like Cowboy Beebop... and wolfs rain. Interesting stories with interesting characters... there are others... bot those are good.

If you dislike Anime I understand. I do NOT get some of the modern anime out there at all.

I DO like Cowboy Beebop... and wolfs rain. Interesting stories with interesting characters... there are others... bot those are good.

There are probably less than a dozen anime shows or films I like. I'm just not a big consumer of it. I've tried watching quite a lot of it but dislike the vast majority for one reason or another.

Yeah, You could not pay me to watch any Anime, let alone to see the Star Wars franchise raped in this manner.

I watched Akira once in the 90's it was the worst turd I've ever seen on screen.

Then I was forced to sit through my smelly geek roommates stupid fascination with dragonballs in college, which drove me up a wall.

Seriously. **** all anime. **** it long and **** it hard. You won't ever find me watching any of that garbage, or playing any game that uses an anime art style.
Star Wars was raped by the force awakens, then killed by the last jedi, then the corpse raped again by rise of. There is literally nothing they can do with it that would make me care again.

Most of my HS mates were also dragonball fans, I was dumbfounded how can anyone like that. That said, there are good anime movies, just not that many.

Like all of these situations, it wasn't any one thing that caused the issue. However, if it was just a bad movie then it would have had a strong opening followed by a super sharp decline in the subsequent week or so. The film opened a good 30 million below expectations and 50 million under Rogue One which gives credence to the boycott argument. Beyond that, it was a movie based on a premise no one really asked for. Movies tend to make 50% of their revenue in roughly 21 days at that time. It tapers off after that but picks up the rest of the revenue over the next several weeks of release.

When a movie has a weak opening and continues to falter, its because people aren't going to see it AND people that did weren't happy with what they saw. Personally, I think the movie gets far more **** than it deserves. It's a decent heist movie and does a fair bit of justice to Han Solo's story until the last few minutes of the story where he's a hero at heart and where he needs saving by a 110lbs. "strong woman".

That aside, the movie was widely panned as both a backlash for the Last Jedi and rumors that Lando was "pansexual". There were also a lot of people who didn't bother because they couldn't see anyone but Harrison Ford in the role he made so iconic. I'm not saying the boycotts were the only reason the movie did badly. Far from it. However, I think it was a strong contributing factor. The opening weekend alone flat shows us that fewer people went to see it than went to see Rogue One.

The Rise of Skywalker wasn't as hated as the Last Jedi. But, all of them after Episode VII did worse than the previous film. None of them in the Palpatine trilogy did badly financially, but were often divisive among fans and that's being overly simplistic and kind.

Given that the anime stories are all new stories, calling it "rape" is a bit much. Many franchises have anime installments that vary in quality but anime or animation as a whole is fine.

That said, I'm not a fan of most anime either. Akira is probably the most overrated anime film of all time. Dragon Ball-Z is something I never understood anymore than I understood Pokemon. There are some good ones out there though. I rather like the art style of some specific anime shows or films, but what often gets me are the tropes which plague the medium. I could go on an on in a thread about that alone. Sadly, I wouldn't have time to type that up anytime soon.

The tropes and "sameness' of a lot of it keeps me critical of the vast majority of anime. But again, I wouldn't blanketly say that all anime is garbage or trash. It's a lot better than the animated **** coming out of America. Sure, South Park and some other shows may be funny or whatever but their artwork sucks. Other animation is infected by wokeness same as the comic book industry, which is why manga and anime are killing them in sales.
SOLO is the only Starwars film I haven't watched at the movies, the trailer didn't make me care about it and actually I waited months untill one day I finally "streamed" it and my fears were spot on. The only saving grace was Donald Glover as Lando (and Chewie of course). The rest of the cast, mediocre at best. Lousy plot, lousy hero, lousy villain, lousy love interest. terrible ending, pointless cameo.

BTW this is the "FIXED" version. I don't want to know how bad was the original script.

SOLO is the only Starwars film I haven't watched at the movies, the trailer didn't make me care about it and actually I waited months untill one day I finally "streamed" it and my fears were spot on. The only saving grace was Donald Glover as Lando (and Chewie of course). The rest of the cast, mediocre at best. Lousy plot, lousy hero, lousy villain, lousy love interest. terrible ending, pointless cameo.

BTW this is the "FIXED" version. I don't want to know how bad was the original script.

I've never watched a single Star Wars film in the theaters. All of the newer ones I watched on my home theater system though. I haven't been to a movie theater in over a decade.

I've also never seen any of the animated series, or read any of the comics or anything of that sort.

Films I have seen:
- All originals
- All Prequels
- All sequels
- Rogue One

I've also watched the Mandalorian.

I'll say this:

- I grew up on the original three films. Absolutely loved them.

- I absolutely hated the prequels. Like, to th epoint I wish they had never been made. They ruined Star Wars for me. I watched Episode 1, and hated it. I wanted to strangle that little Anakin kid actor. I hated it so much that I completely lost interest in Star Wars. It wasn't until years after its release I watched Episode 2. The Anakin/Padme dynamic made me want to puke. This cemented my feeling that "I hate Star Wars now". So much that I didn't watch Episode 3 until like 2015 or so. It wasnt as bad as I recall the rest being, but I still disliked it.

IMHO, the only good thing about the prequels was Ewan MacGregor. He acted the **** out of his role, but he alone could not save the trainwreck.

The first of the newer films I saw was Rogue One. I kind of liked the throwback touches to the original three films, but in the grand scheme of things I don' think it was terribly memorable. In fact I can't remember most of the plot right now.

Then I sighed and decided maybe I should watch the sequels. The Force Awakens was OK. Again, I liked the throwback touches and overall feel of the original three films. It gave me a sense of nostalgia. It was an enjoyable film, but again, nowhere near as memorable as the original three.

Which brings me to the Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't nearly as offended as some were by those films. I didn't read any political agendas into the scripts or anything like others did. I just took them at face value, and to me that face value was just a bit boring. There was nothing to evoke what I loved about Star Wars in the 80's.

I will say this though. The Mandalorian TV series was awesome. I loved it. Loved the setting, loved the writing, loved the acting. I wish they could have executed the sequel films this well.

So, the TLDR version is:

- Original Series - Some of my favorite films of all time
- Prequels - Some of my most hated films of all time
- Sequels - Meh, a little fun here or there, but mostly forgettable
- Rogue one - Again, some fun, but mostly forgettable
- Mandalorian - A really pleasant surprise. Great little series.

I'm not even sure if I am going to bother with the Solo film.

- Original Series - Some of my favorite films of all time
- Prequels - Some of my most hated films of all time
- Sequels - Meh, a little fun here or there, but mostly forgettable
- Rogue one - Again, some fun, but mostly forgettable
- Mandalorian - A really pleasant surprise. Great little series.

I'm not even sure if I am going to bother with the Solo film.

This is going deep into off topic territory, but I have wildly different views on the movies.
The first one I saw was the Empire Strikes Back (you know iron curtain, western movies only got here in bootleg copies and we got them out of order). I really liked it.
Then I saw return of the Jedi, and absolutely loved that one, must have watched the VHS copy 200 times.
I didn't see New Hope until the mid nineties, and I thought it was kind of meh.

The only SW movie I saw in the theater was Phantom Menace. I didn't hate it, I thought it was OK. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith however were so forgettable that I Actually forgot what they were about.

Force Awakens, I thought was very meh, I didn't hate it, but it was a re-hashing of New Hope and it already had that Mary Sue moment at the end that bothered me to no end. Pun intended.

Then I saw Rogue One and loved it, it is probably my third favorite SW movie only after Return of the Jedi and Empire strikes back.

Then I saw the Last Jedi and the universe was broken beyond repair. Awful piece of utter trash. I didn't even watch Solo or the third sequel movie after that. I might eventually get around to Solo, but not the third film, SW as a series is dead to me now.

I did watch the Mandalorian, and it was OK, but I Think it is wildly overrated. It is only good in the context of the Last Jedi, but anything that is not a steaming pile of feces would be good compared to that.

Episode I: OK
Episode II: Forgettable
Episode III: Forgettable
Episode IV: Meh
Episode V: Great
Episode VI: Great
Episode VII: Meh
Episode VIII: TRASH
Episode IX: Didn't watch it

Rogue One: Surprisingly Good
Solo: Didn't watch it

Mandalorian: OK, highly overrated.

An entire galaxy of NOPE. Who wanted this?

I honestly don't have a problem with it conceptually. These are unrelated to anything we've seen before and I have nothing against animation. But your right. No one asked for this.

Rogue One was really good, IMO.

I'm not a fan of the way the two leads give up at the end of the film, or the fact that everyone dies in it. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the movie. It's easily the best one Disney has produced so far. In fact, I don't think there is even a contest. In my opinion, Rogue One is the best Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. Revenge of the Sith would almost be better if it weren't for being so CG heavy and the last 10 or 15 minutes being complete ****.

I'm not a fan of the way the two leads give up at the end of the film, or the fact that everyone dies in it. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the movie. It's easily the best one Disney has produced so far. In fact, I don't think there is even a contest. In my opinion, Rogue One is the best Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. Revenge of the Sith would almost be better if it weren't for being so CG heavy and the last 10 or 15 minutes being complete ****.

For me, as someone who has been in and has an MOS that would align with this kind of thing.......that is how it would have ended 99% of times. I hated that we lost great characters but appreciated that the depiction on how it would end is correct. Those are largely suicide missions.

I'm not a fan of the way the two leads give up at the end of the film, or the fact that everyone dies in it. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the movie.

Agreed, those were my primary complaints about Rogue one. Well that and the resurrected by cgi characters (Tarkin, Leia).

I liked Solo ok, but more as a sci-fi train robbery kind of movie than a SW one. Chewbacca cracked me up in that one. I thought the inclusion of Maul at the end was dumb tho.

I’d watch Bebop again for the music alone. But thankfully I can just listen to the music without having to sit through the stories again. They were good, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t have the patience for these things anymore.

Become a Patron!
Back