ASUS Develops PCIe Quick-Release Button for Select Z690 Motherboards, Making It Much Easier to Detach Graphics Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asus-pcie-slot-q-release-button-leak-1024x576.gif
Image: ASUS

ASUS has revealed that some of its upcoming Z690 motherboards for 12th Gen Intel Core “Alder Lake” processors will include a nifty feature that should make it easier for enthusiasts to detach GPUs and other PCIe cards. Dubbed “PCI3 Slot Q-Release,” the feature consists of a button that unlocks the PCIe slot’s security latch with a single, simple tap. The button is reserved for the primary PCIe slot.

👆 pic.twitter.com/FXPxYj3Myo— 188号 (@momomo_us) October 26, 2021

From ASUS:

A physical button unlocks the first PCIe slot’s security latch with one tap, greatly simplifying the process of detaching a PCIe card from the motherboard when it’s time to upgrade to a new GPU or other compatible device.

These are the ASUS Z690...

Continue reading...

I have a ROG B550, and that PCI latch is a royal PITA on those. It's hard enough to access and the GPUs I have the backplates kinda overhang it a bit so I can't get my fingers on it well enough. I have to get a screwdriver to get enough pressure on it to unlatch, and I'm worried it'll slip off and smash the PCB one of these days.

Also, that's kind of a neat heat sink on the SSD there, with a heat pipe coming up so it can get some air flow.

This is a welcome development.

Sometimes on systems with large CPU coolers, and big boxy blower type GPU's, it's really tough to get a finger down there to release them.

When I recently did this on my testbench/backup build I had to slide a ruler down between the big boxy cooler and my old 2013 6GB Kepler Titan and repeatedly try to poke the latch that way.

Last edited:
So I'm the only one who usually pops that locking mechanism tab off the PCI-e slots?

So they made the pcie latch button bigger? That's what this article is about? A button a non reviewer might use 2 maybe 3 times in the lifetime of the product.

Someone alert the media!!!

So I'm the only one who usually pops that locking mechanism tab off the PCI-e slots?
Yes. I don't break **** off my hardware. I'm not so lazy that I can't use a tool to release cards from PCIe slots correctly. I have probably installed more PCIe cards and removed them than most people ever will. It's not great on longer cards but I've seen the reverse of what happens when you don't have those retention tabs as well. I've seen plenty of GPU's that don't stay seated because of a cheap case that flexes too much or a case that's not built well or even GPU I/O brackets that are oddly designed or simply too thin and flexible to hold cards in place.

This is a welcome development.

Sometimes on systems with large CPU coolers, and big boxy blower type GPU's, it's really touch to get a finger down there to release them.

Also their new NVMe retention mechanism is a welcome change.

So they made the pcie latch button bigger? That's what this article is about? A button a non reviewer might use 2 maybe 3 times in the lifetime of the product.

Someone alert the media!!!
Actually, the latch itself is a different design that seems to allow actuation by a remote switch. Same concept but implemented differently mechanically.

Yes. I don't break **** off my hardware. I'm not so lazy that I can't use a tool to release cards from PCIe slots correctly. I have probably installed more PCIe cards and removed them than most people ever will. It's not great on longer cards but I've seen the reverse of what happens when you don't have those retention tabs as well. I've seen plenty of GPU's that don't stay seated because of a cheap case that flexes too much or a case that's not built well or even GPU I/O brackets that are oddly designed or simply too thin and flexible to hold cards in place.

The only ones I take off are the ones that pop off. I don't break anything.

I also only do it on my GPU BOINC rigs which usually have 2+ GPUs on the board and lay flat. I don't go through GPUs enough in my primary desktop or other purpose built rigs to justify popping them off and most likely losing the piece that goes back on.

Become a Patron!
Back