Samsung Announces New $17 Billion Semiconductor Fab Site in Taylor, Texas

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
greg-abbott-and-kinam-kim-samsung-taylor-texas-fab-press-conference.jpg
Image: Samsung

Samsung has confirmed that it will be building a new and advanced semiconductor fab site in the city of Taylor, Texas. The project, which is estimated to cost around $17 billion, represents that largest investment that the South Korean manufacturing giant has ever made in the U.S. Samsung’s Taylor site is expected to go online in the second half of 2024.

From Samsung’s announcement:

[…] The estimated $17 billion investment in the United States will help boost production of advanced logic semiconductor solutions that power next-generation innovations and technologies.The new facility will manufacture products based on advanced process technologies for application in areas such as mobile, 5G, high-performance computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI). Samsung remains committed to supporting customers globally by...

Continue reading...

Having more silicon fab capacity in the world is a great thing.

Having it in the U.S. is even better.

I'm not a fan of government picking winners and losers via subsidies and tax breaks though, at least not outside of strategic goals.

Leave tax rates the same for everyone, give no one subsidies, and let the market decide who wins.

The incentives / tax breaks are more to lure a big player like this in your back yard, so that you can collect on all that tax revenue.

You may give the big business a break, but all those workers are going to move in with their families, eat out in the area, use local retailers, pay local property taxes, etc.

The incentives / tax breaks are more to lure a big player like this in your back yard, so that you can collect on all that tax revenue.

You may give the big business a break, but all those workers are going to move in with their families, eat out in the area, use local retailers, pay local property taxes, etc.

Yeah, but then these huge multinationals just play different jurisdictions against each other. It becomes a race to the bottom. It's kind of shameful.

Property taxes in Texas are pretty horrid. At least we don't pay it on vehicles. That's something.

Yeah, but then these huge multinationals just play different jurisdictions against each other. It becomes a race to the bottom. It's kind of shameful.
Not to mention, from the studies I’ve seen, the communities almost always come out on the bad side of the deal. Wisconsin got royally screwed by Foxconn, Sunnyvale (?) has service and budget problems due to their deal with Apple, etc.

Not to mention, from the studies I’ve seen, the communities almost always come out on the bad side of the deal. Wisconsin got royally screwed by Foxconn, Sunnyvale (?) has service and budget problems due to their deal with Apple, etc.
They also never employ the number of people they say they will in their proposals.

Yeah FC royally screwed Wisconsin bad on that one.

Wait till the water pipes freezes over and the power collapses... Hey at least we will be part of the excuse for scarcity of chips and high prices.

Wait till the water pipes freezes over and the power collapses... Hey at least we will be part of the excuse for scarcity of chips and high prices.
Wasn’t there power outages in Texas over the summer too when it was too hot? Chip supply can be constrained in the winter when it’s too cold and in the summer when it’s too hot!

Wasn’t there power outages in Texas over the summer too when it was too hot? Chip supply can be constrained in the winter when it’s too cold and in the summer when it’s too hot!

I'm always surprised when I hear that a business for which outages are so costly does not have battery supoorted diesel generators on standby....

Last edited:
I'm always surprised when I hear that a business for which outages are so codtöy does not have battery supoorted diesel generators on standby....
That is exactly what I do for a living and it shocks me as well. People get used to paying the utility rate, and are shocked when it costs more to have something more reliable.

That is exactly what I do for a living and it shocks me as well. People get used to paying the utility rate, and are shocked when it costs more to have something more reliable.
These same companies could easily have reduced power cost with solar and heat pumps where available.

Traffic in the Austin area about to get worse, film at 10.....

Become a Patron!
Back