Razer Develops New Gaming Handheld to Showcase Qualcomm’s New Snapdragon G3x Gaming Platform

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
qualcomm-razer-snapdragon-g3x-handheld-developer-kit-in-hand-1024x576.jpg
Image: Qualcomm

Qualcomm has tapped Razer to develop a new gaming handheld to showcase its new Snapdragon G3x Gen 1 Gaming Platform, a purpose-built platform that leverages the company’s Snapdragon G3x chip for high-performance gaming and other media experiences on Android OS. Featuring an elongated design, the handheld appears to be heavily inspired by the Xbox One controller and comes with a 6.65-inch 120 Hz OLED display and other modern technologies such as Wi-Fi 6E. It is available exclusively beginning today for developers.

Image: Qualcomm

Qualcomm on its...

Continue reading...

An Arm version of the Steam Deck.

I bet this will do well.

/s

*edit* also, Snapdragon sound?

An Arm version of the Steam Deck.

I bet this will do well.

/s

*edit* also, Snapdragon sound?
I wouldn't be so sure. After all these years android gaming is still lacking, it might do great as an emulation console and game streaming though. It better be cheaper than the Steam deck.

I'm guessing the price for one of these dev units is going to be on the order of 4k or higher.

I wouldn't be so sure. After all these years android gaming is still lacking, it might do great as an emulation console and game streaming though. It better be cheaper than the Steam deck.
If it’s Android it’ll be DOA - like you say, the Android market is lacking, and while it’s a enormous market, it doesn’t drive a lot of revenue, so it’s largely remained a bunch of casual F2P games driven by ad revenue.

And if it’s Windows ARM, then it will have a library but suffer from emulation.

As you say, maybe they are trying to position it as a AIO device for using all the streaming services with? Emulation (as in old school console, not x86 -> arm) I can’t see being a driver; it’s a niche market with plenty of available devices already.

If it’s Android it’ll be DOA - like you say, the Android market is lacking, and while it’s a enormous market, it doesn’t drive a lot of revenue, so it’s largely remained a bunch of casual F2P games driven by ad revenue.

And if it’s Windows ARM, then it will have a library but suffer from emulation.

As you say, maybe they are trying to position it as a AIO device for using all the streaming services with? Emulation (as in old school console, not x86 -> arm) I can’t see being a driver; it’s a niche market with plenty of available devices already.

I don't think Windows ARM is a real option. But what android games would you play on it? PUGB and Fortnite? That's about as "high end" there is.
I recall when the ShieldTV came out and nvidia was pushing for android games, some PC ports were released like doom3, Portal and Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy. But there were no further releases and "game console" android gaming quickly faded out.

I don't really see it any different today. That said, the guys on my facebook emulation group are really exited by it.

Become a Patron!
Back