VMware vs Xen vs KVM vs VBox....vs ...

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
Who do you prefer for your virtualization needs?

Who is the best in your view?

Vmware, Virtualbox, Xen, KVM, Qemu, etc..

I generally stick with VMware for host based enterprise setups. I've used virtualbox and kvm for personal testing. Overall between all of them I like Vmware the best. But it's pricey to do on your own.

I was just doing research thinking about setting up a Linux host for some various VMs.

I've used VMWare and VBox with a Windows and OS X host, but haven't done anything virtualized with a Linux host yet. VMWare was my preferred solution there, but it wasn't always free.

Will be checking in to see responses.

Vbox for personal. VMware and stratus everrun for enterprise; prefer vmware.
EverRun is some cool **** though.. I've done a couple of installations that are still running smooth to this day (We're talking Everrun 6 here).. Upgraded one system to 7.5 of EverRun and although I had a couple of hiccups, support was solid from them.

EverRun is some cool **** though.. I've done a couple of installations that are still running smooth to this day (We're talking Everrun 6 here).. Upgraded one system to 7.5 of EverRun and although I had a couple of hiccups, support was solid from them.

Upgrade to 7.6. 7.5.1.1 fixed a few memory leaks and then 7.6 release notes fixed "memory leaks". Supports recommendation is to have 2+GB dedicated to everrun then 3GB of unallocated to handle the leaks. When it hits everrun will throw biz network alerts then do a heap sync failure.

Last edited:
Upgrade to 7.6. 7.5.1.1 fixed a few memory leaks and then 7.6 release notes fixed "memory leaks". Supports recommendation is to have 2+GB dedicated to everrun then 3GB of unallocated to handle the leaks. When it hits everrun will throw biz network alerts then do a heap sync failure.
Thanks for the tip... I'll try coordinating with the government IT liaison to get that upgrade to 7.6 taken care of. Good to know! thanks!

Become a Patron!
Back