AMD Ryzen 7000 Series 16C/32T CPU Rumored to Feature 170-Watt TDP

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's probably a good time to start updating that power supply wishlist, as the demands of flagship hardware appear to be growing considerably not only for the graphics card side, but CPUs as well. Greymon55 has leaked some of the purported specifications for two of AMD's upcoming Zen 4-based Ryzen 7000 "Raphael" desktop processors, and what is speculated to be the flagship part, a 16C/32T CPU, will supposedly carry a TDP of 170 watts.

Go to post

With competition going back and forth, Intel and AMD will be pushing the power envelope. Same as AMD and Nvidia are for GPUs.

I like competition.

This just makes me glad I got my 1300 watt Power Supply already.

16C/32T with what I will assume (for now) a nice bump in IPC and overall stellar performance, 170W TDP doesn't seem so extreme. The cooling solution, however...

AMD seems to be pretty consistent with their TDP ratings.
Consistent relative to some average power draw, sure - I'm wondering how that should be translated to peak power draw, account for overclocking etc.
16C/32T with what I will assume (for now) a nice bump in IPC and overall stellar performance, 170W TDP doesn't seem so extreme. The cooling solution, however...
That's kind of why I'm asking. 170W isn't hard to cool with consumer solutions, but if peak power draw is much higher, it could definitely pose a challenge. It's usually more of a 'suggestion' outside of system integrators.

It's not bad, all things considered. That's a lot of chooch for the wattage.

Become a Patron!
Back