Corsair Launches K70 RGB TKL Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Corsair has launched its new K70 RGB TKL Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, a new option for users who are seeking a keyboard with a tenkeyless design. The black-aluminum keyboard features the company's OPX optical-mechanical keyswitches, which boast a short actuation distance of just 1.0 mm, a detachable USB Type-C cable, as well as an 8,000 Hz polling rate via AXON Hyper-Processing technology for greater performance.

Go to post

What is the deal with the elimination of 10 key?
So, basically - ergonomics. Especially for gaming, with the typical WASD + mouse setup, which keeps your forearms straight.

Yeah, what gives? I like the 10-key
I keep a separate numpad, typically on the right side of my mouse. But before that, practicing on laptops that lack a numpad, those being all the nice ones, made the transition less painful than it would have been.

I really don't understand who tenkeyless keyboards are for. I guess the keyboards are more portable, which is handy if you carry it around with a laptop or something. It doesn't even really save that much desk space, and if it does for you, then you got bigger problems with the available space on your desk. I have a keyboard tray, and while the numpad area does overlap the mouse pad, it barely makes a difference, and doesn't interfere with my mouse usage.

So, basically - ergonomics. Especially for gaming, with the typical WASD + mouse setup, which keeps your forearms straight.
When I game, my forearms are straight using my full-size K70 and mouse. Each arm and elbow rests on an armrest of my chair. The left arm goes straight to where WASD is, and the right arm goes straight to the mouse. I don't see how this would change if I didn't have the numpad area of my keyboard.

I keep a separate numpad, typically on the right side of my mouse.
Ah, that's pretty cool. So at least you still have a numpad solution. Does it wire into the keyboard, or directly to the PC? If the latter, does it show up as a separate device on your PC? I don't think I am familiar with the practice of using a separate numpad.

You keep it on the right side of your mouse huh? Interesting. That wouldn't work for my keyboard tray, cuz it would change the mouse's position to no longer be in an ideal place for my right hand/arm.

But before that, practicing on laptops that lack a numpad, those being all the nice ones, made the transition less painful than it would have been.
I can't even stand laptop keyboards as it is, ones without numpads just piss me off all the more.

Also, I would like to note, a typical number pad is actually 17 keys ><
Haha yeah. I never understood the naming either.

Of course it's 250 bucks.
GOOD GAWD. And I thought $100 for a keyboard was absolutely insane. I got my K70 as a gift, but before that I probably never spent more than $20 on a keyboard. Actually that may not be true, cuz I used to have a Logitech G15 (original version). I don't remember what those things cost when new. I got mine in the mid-2000s when I built my dual-core overclocked Opteron165 system on an nForce 4 board. I don't recall which crapped out first, the G15's backlighting or the screen, but those things didn't last.

GOOD GAWD. And I thought $100 for a keyboard was absolutely insane. I got my K70 as a gift, but before that I probably never spent more than $20 on a keyboard. Actually that may not be true, cuz I used to have a Logitech G15 (original version). I don't remember what those things cost when new. I got mine in the mid-2000s when I built my dual-core overclocked Opteron165 system on an nForce 4 board. I don't recall which crapped out first, the G15's backlighting or the screen, but those things didn't last.
Actually have an original orange-backlit G15 that I need to refurbish someday. Still works, mostly! But the screen absolutely still works with say HWINFO64 for showing system statistics, if coarsely.

As for keyboard pricing... wait until you hear about custom keyboards, bespoke keycaps, switches, and various customizations folks do. I'm typing on a keyboard with switches that we (wife and myself) lubed that we also installed a foam pad into to dampen some of the noise.

I paid a premium for my Logitech G915 wireless keyboard, but I Iove it so far. Don't see myself getting anything else unless something goes wrong.

Become a Patron!
Back