Plans for Ads in the forums?

IKV1476

n00b
Do you guys plan on an Ad or two on forum pages? There is that empty spot at the top that could use a banner Ad. I know I don't mind a few relevant unobtrusive Ads here and there and generating revenue for content etc.

Yes, those are on the todo list - right now, we're not part of any display ad networks but it's a bit of a chicken vs egg thing (ads vs content). I would plan on a banner on top, perhaps on the bottom and as we get affiliate programs sorted out, outbound links will get monetized as well.

Note that we won't be doing the Intellilink rubbish (is that still a thing?) or injecting ads between posts. Of course, I reserve the right to revisit this if it becomes the difference between making us or breaking us, but I somehow doubt that it will.

On top of that, I do believe Patreon link would be in order. Most especially if it'll help to offset some startup review item costs to aid in enticing in some manufacturers.

On top of that, I do believe Patreon link would be in order. Most especially if it'll help to offset some startup review item costs to aid in enticing in some manufacturers.

Take a look at the bottom of the main forum page and you shall find Patreon.

Right now the only ads being served are for affiliate links. We need a bit more content before we can get display ads rolling (so says the rejectiokj notices I keep getting).

Take a look at the bottom of the main forum page and you shall find Patreon.

Right now the only ads being served are for affiliate links. We need a bit more content before we can get display ads rolling (so says the rejectiokj notices I keep getting).

I'll take a look! I have only been on mobile so perhaps I just haven't seen it yet.

Ok guys, we have been approved for Google Adsense ads, so you'll start seeing them here and on the front page as we have to pay the bills somehow.

I want to make sure the user experience stays as good as possible - if there are any terrible placements that show up (Google has a bit of automation where they will play with it), please let me know. Same goes for irrelevant content - I should have some levers to pull that can influence what gets shown to you. I'm new to AdSense, so it may be a bit of a rough go at first...

Ads just need to be served right and not clicked on?

Getting some weird ads. My fave so far:
Screenshot_20190909-231542_Chrome.jpg

Not sure why I'm being targeted with senior matchmaking ads. Only 36, married, and not into grannies (yet). Honest.

I should be able to blacklist those.... Will look at later today.

Just got a MASSIVE add in a thread. Here is a screenshot.

1568215028775.png

Just got a MASSIVE add in a thread. Here is a screenshot.

View attachment 128
Is the issue the placement of the ad or the content of the ad?

Google is trying to optimize placement on its own - I've banned it from posting mid-thread, but not from posting between the last post and the reply box, which it looks like where this one is..

On the matchseniors note, I can't seem to find it in the ad review center...

Is the issue the placement of the ad or the content of the ad?

Google is trying to optimize placement on its own - I've banned it from posting mid-thread, but not from posting between the last post and the reply box, which it looks like where this one is..

On the matchseniors note, I can't seem to find it in the ad review center...

honestly the issue for me was the sheer size of the add. it took up the width of my browser window and the height was aligned to that width at the time of generation so it felt obtuse. Regardless of the size of the add.

Is there a function to have adds on active threads as opposed to the first couple of posts? It would seem that would be the valuable real-estate to have adds on. Huge adds on posts with a comment or two I would think would detract from the responses even being made. But that is a guess.

Monetize the forum however you need I will participate.

honestly the issue for me was the sheer size of the add. it took up the width of my browser window and the height was aligned to that width at the time of generation so it felt obtuse. Regardless of the size of the add.

Is there a function to have adds on active threads as opposed to the first couple of posts? It would seem that would be the valuable real-estate to have adds on. Huge adds on posts with a comment or two I would think would detract from the responses even being made. But that is a guess.

Monetize the forum however you need I will participate.

I'll see if I can turn that noise down in the forums - I mean, at this point, we're making $2-3 per day on the ads between here and the front page. The higher size is google trying to generate a click as they pay better than an impression.

Ninja edit - the below messages ads _should_ be off now.

If you could restrict the size of the adds I would be cool with that.

Become a Patron!
Back