Apple Workers Unhappy About Having to Return to the Office, Ready to Quit

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Apple workers had the privilege of working at home for a period of time due to the pandemic, but that luxury began coming to an end last month when Tim Cook and company ordered employees to return to the office for at least one day a week as part of a hybrid work plan, one that will increase to three days later this month.

Go to post

I'm sorry but any return to the office demand needs to come with a commiserate raise for increased costs.

I'm sorry but any return to the office demand needs to come with a commiserate raise for increased costs.
The problem with this is that many of these people used to work from the office full or part of the time anyway. Now they ask for something additional in return for having to come back to the office even a little bit? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you never had to come into the office before and now you do, I can see giving those employees some additional compensation for that. However, in many cases the people who used to work in the office 5 days a week only have to come in 2 or 3 days. As far as I am concerned, those people are already getting compensated by being able to spend some time at home.

It seems a lot of companies aren't going back to the way they used to do things. Now they seem to be primarily adopting a hybrid plan where they are only asking people to come in some of the time. That's what my day time employer and many others around the country have done.

Yeah I think it actually works the other way. Like Dan_D says, "In office" is (or at least was) the standard, if you want to work outside of that, the company has to do stuff above and beyond "the standard" to support that.

You, as an employee, won't have to commute (both time and money right there) and gain a lot more flexibility in your schedule - among other intangibles. Sure, there are some cons as well, but I think most companies are going to see that as the employee needing to give up some pay if they want to remain W@H, rather than getting extra pay to come back to the office.

That isn't to say that some workplaces may be set up nearly entirely virtually and accommodating to WFH - but I think for most of the people who started work prior to the pandemic that isn't the case.

I say all this - I've enjoyed greatly working from home. I'm lucky to be able to continue to do so for the most part. That said, if my company tells me I need to be somewhere, I'm there. As long as my work gets done well, they don't ask too many questions or make too many extraneous demands.

I feel zero sympathy for the folks at Apple complaining about this. If they feel that strongly about it, I'm sure there are dozens of other tech jobs hiring. It's not like Apple is forcing them into unpaid overtime in a sweat shop.

I feel zero sympathy for the folks at Apple complaining about this. If they feel that strongly about it, I'm sure there are dozens of other tech jobs hiring. It's not like Apple is forcing them into unpaid overtime in a sweat shop.
Yeah, I don't think it's a situation that really needs any sympathy. I imagine most of these are jobs are well paying jobs. If the company allows for work from home and employees are productive then perfect! If not I'm sure both employees and the company will move on and find better fits.

I wonder why apple needs employees to return, have they been finding it unproductive?

How does that even make sense? If they worked from the office 5 days a week before then they let em work from home during Covid, so now it's time to come back and they want extra pay? I'd get it if they were always working from home but not if it were a temporary thing.

Well, this is one way Apple could get rid of the fat, without being sued, and hopefully, many of the no-returns are its woke mob/attention-seekers.

Oops... I almost forgot, the uncreative grand wizard would still be there, though. RATS! 😡

How does that even make sense? If they worked from the office 5 days a week before then they let em work from home during Covid, so now it's time to come back and they want extra pay? I'd get it if they were always working from home but not if it were a temporary thing.
Because over two years of working from home those decreased expenses on fuel and maintenance and eating out went away. Now they are being reintroduced. In effect working from home for those with a commute was a palatable increase in pay to help offset the increased cost of living that came with it.

In effect working from home for those with a commute was a palatable increase in pay to help offset the increased cost of living that came with it.
Yeah, it was. And now they are asking for it again. I'm all for people getting paid more, but this reasoning sounds an awful lot like double dipping.

Become a Patron!
Back