2021 Cadillac Escalade to Sport Massive 38-Inch Curved OLED Display

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Escalade drivers may have a tougher time keeping their eyes on the road with Cadillac's latest upgrade. The automaker has announced that the 2021 model will flaunt a 38-inch curved OLED display, which should allow for a stunning instrument cluster: the screen offers "twice the density of a 4K television" and "perfect blacks," a staple of the technology. The vehicle will be officially unveiled on February 4.

Cadillac today announced that the 2021 Escalade will showcase the first curved OLED in the industry with over 38 inches diagonal of total display. Featuring twice the pixel density of a 4K television, this technology enables bold imagery, perfect blacks and the largest color range available in the automotive industry. “From the highway to the big screen, the Escalade has been embraced by drivers and fans around the world,” said Steve Carlisle, Cadillac president. “We’re excited to introduce the 2021 Escalade during Oscars week in February.”

Am I the only person who still prefers simple mechanical gauges for the instrument cluster and simple mechanical controls for the radio and HVAC? I can glance down at my instrument cluster and see everything I need in a split second. I can control the radio and HVAC without taking my eyes off the road.

I remember the first time I got in a relative's 2017 Ford Fusion. It doesn't have anything like what is indicated in the post but between the screen and instrument cluster in that thing I was practically blinded when I went to move the car at night. I have to wonder how anyone can have any decent night vision while driving something like that.

Tech things are starting to distract a driver more and more. Something this big in a vehicle is probably going to be a good example.

I don’t mind screens for the most part, although I do like analog Tach and Speed gauges better

I dislike touchscreen much more than just displays though. With physical buttons I can get a muscle memory... on an interface where I have to dig through menus that takes much longer and I end up trying not to look at the screen as I’m driving.

I totally agree that tech is distracting. I don’t know that in instrument cluster is necessarily so... all depends on how it’s implemented. OLED true black is a good point, and backlight bleed on LCDs in cars drives me batty - especially at night. At least in that regard this is a big positive.

Of course if the overlay is garish, bright colors all over, lots on animations, etc.... then that black benefit is wasted and we are no better off.

a 38 inch diagonal oled display isn't as big as it sounds when it's only 3-4 inches high. All of that measurement is in width.

I work for a Ford/Lincoln dealer. They started to put the 10 inch screens in the higher end Explorers and the results have been mixed from customers. Some say it's too large, while others appreciate how much information it can show such as on navigation. I had a couple come in with a new Mercedes and the total dashboard from the drivers side to basically the passenger side was an LCD display. Probably roughly 5 to 6 inches at it peak height. That seemed distracting to me, but cool looking nonetheless.

My wife has an explorer with the 8" screen (I think..)

It looks pretty, and for nav it's nice, but I don't care for everything being operated through it and at night I have to turn it off. Fingerprints get all over it since it's touchscreen.

I had a '11 F150 - it had an older segment-style display on the radio, but physical buttons for everything. I loved that.

Have a '17 F150 now. It has a small 4" display now. It's not touch (thank god), but I don't like it nearly as well - it doesn't really display anything different, it's an odd size, and not my favorite. It's not nearly as distracting as the Explorer screen thankfully.

I do like the small displays in the dash though - I still have analog speed, and the display that goes along with that is nice. In the Explorer it has analog speed but the Tach is on the display - the tach isn't nearly as nice as an analog gauge would be.

And within three years, the dash that surrounds this pretty display will probably crack because........GM.

And within three years, the dash that surrounds this pretty display will probably crack because........GM.
Don't forget that a few years later at best the screen will die from something or another and the cost to replace will probably be more than the vehicle will be worth. It's another huge issue I have with these displays over simple and reliable mechanical gauges and controls.

It’s an Escalade, who actually buys these with the intention of keeping them for a long time?

Become a Patron!
Back