XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT THICC II Pro Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty impressive, but I bet that "Ultimate 1080p" moniker will bite them in the *** with its performance in certain high profile games (ie: RDR2).

And I'm really enjoying how Nvidia's responding to the launch (lower prices). Once AMD launches big Navi, I'm hoping Nvidia will adjust their prices like they've done here.

Some quick notes.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/01/21/xfx-radeon-rx-5600-xt-thicc-ii-pro-review/5/ <-- White background through page 9

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/01/21/xfx-radeon-rx-5600-xt-thicc-ii-pro-review/13/ white background again.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/01/21/xfx-radeon-rx-5600-xt-thicc-ii-pro-review/16/ White backgound again

Just something to touch up. The review itself was well written and presented. Thank you!

Seems like a good product from AMD that Nvidia if course is trying to tank.

You should test with RT on as well. just to give a all features performance parity and show screen shots between the two. I bet those performance numbers change on applicable games!

Background stuff should revert back - I assume you were seeing the mobile white at a desktop width?

I gave the caching plugin another chance with some setting tweaks. Looks like it went back to caching mobile pages and presenting them to desktop users again... Bad thing is that when caching plugin is disabled the cdn is as well...

Nope this was on my desktop running Chrome. Windows 10 pro.

One other note. Can you test this card on a system supporting PCIE 4.0. I only ask because I have seen evidence that the PCIE 4.0 bus really can unlock these lower end cards with it's greater throughput.

Nope this was on my desktop running Chrome. Windows 10 pro.

Right, but what I mean is you likely saw the mobile theme delivered to your desktop browser due to the caching. Specifically, you'd have seen no sidebar or footer things that you'd usually find on the desktop site.

One other note. Can you test this card on a system supporting PCIE 4.0. I only ask because I have seen evidence that the PCIE 4.0 bus really can unlock these lower end cards with it's greater throughput.

We've got some PCI 3vs4 testing in the pipeline - Brent's review system is moving to a 3700X shortly. AMD's official statement on the PCI-e 3.0 vs 4.0 performance differences, both for 4GB and 8GB cards (and I suppose, 6GB now included in that) is that it's related to using system memory as a swap file when the card runs out. They say that there are a few specific games (i.e. Wolfenstein) that can be memory hogs and exceed the GPU's on board memory for very short periods of time while playing leading to the differential. Take that with or without salt, we'll do some more detailed testing on that though...

I forgot to put this in the review, but we asked AMD if PCIe 4.0 would play a part in performance with this particular GPU, the answer was generally that it won't. The reason why is because the memory bandwidth is sufficient on this card for texturing over the PCIe bus to not be a problem.

However, this wasn't necessarily the case for the 5500 XT, because if its much narrower and less memory bandwidth situations occur where the PCIe speed can affect performance.

So generally, this shouldn't be a thing on the 5600 XT.

This is the exact quote they gave me at the briefing:

“I don’t think so but its hard to quantify, it’s impossible to say yes or no, but given the target bandwidth I think you shouldn’t see a beyond margin of error performance difference between PCIe speeds”

Since the two of you responded to my PCIE 4.x request. Thank you I look forward to when you do test it. I would be interested to see if it makes a discernible difference even on cards with more memory or not. Especially if you purposefully exceed the cards installed memory footprint.

Like very much what XFX did and kept the price at $279! This is how companies get customers and repeat customers. New bios was quick thinking from AMD's part and I don't think that was just made instantly in a few days, more a contingency backup plan. Nvidia looks like they just waited right at the launch time frame to strike lol. OCing the card should have gotten one there anyways except for power limits which I think the new bios expands on (something that power registry mods could do most likely).

For the review, my recommendation only, include action packed images for each game, take the reviewer into the fight or game play so to speak. Just having pages and pages of words takes the excitement somewhat out of it. Also change those images on every review to something new and unique. Good base start review for the 5600XT which I hope will continue with the New bios results.

Good base start review for the 5600XT which I hope will continue with the New bios results.

We had that article done this morning and we got a new new bios dropped in our lap just before I clicked publish. Brent was up overnight testing and gets to re-test the whole thing again, and at this point, has probably fallen asleep at his keyboard. It'll land as soon as he's done :).

Become a Patron!
Back