XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT New BIOS Tested Review

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Game Clock Boosted

Introduction

The competition is fierce.  Left and right AMD and NVIDIA are dualling it out, and the result benefits all of us, the end-user, the person buying the hardware.  Competition is good, and this proves it. Right now, it couldn’t be hotter around the AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT launch.  AMD announced the Radeon RX 5600 XT at CES 2020 this year at its keynote.  This gave NVIDIA time to figure out its move to counter the launch. 

NVIDIA actually ended up officially dropping the price on its GeForce RTX 2060 video card to $299 to preemptively strike at AMD’s Radeon RX 5600 XT.  The AMD...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
NAVI benefits greatly with memory speeds! I really like what XFX is doing with this card and keeping the price at $279. Great follow up on the original review and like very much the flow of the two articles. It is like Breaking News that is interesting. I really don't find this messy but customers are getting a better product and maybe even a better one tomorrow. Silver rating is probably OK, I would recommend a Gold for this card, my opinion.

If XFX continues to support the customer with even a better bios/upgrade for their purchase, I would recommend Silver going to Gold.

How come I can't get from the review to the forum from the old comments button on mobile? And the background is white instead of black for some reason.

Anyway, thanks for retesting everything!

I know these things take a lot of time.

How come I can't get from the review to the forum from the old comments button on mobile? And the background is white instead of black for some reason.

Anyway, thanks for retesting everything!

I know these things take a lot of time.

This seems to be the by-product of moving to the AMP compatible mobile site generated by the WordPress theme that we have. It seems to generate a completely different template from the main site for the sake of page load speed and mobile simplicity, but at the expense of customization (i.e. comments missing). With the integration between the front page and the forums, the "Discussion" link got itself retired, but I think I need to find a solution on the mobile side to jump into the discussion... As for the background color, it's the same sort of thing (you'll also see that ALL articles show up in the list of "recent posts" instead of only displaying "News" posts there. I'll see what I can do over the weekend with it.

Just want to state, it is very likely this card is getting a 14GHz memory bump as well. According to my preliminary testing, this helps more than the clock speed bump. So expect a bigger uplift if this becomes reality.
Im thinking you already tested it with manual over clocking? How much it helped lol

Im thinking you already tested it with manual over clocking? How much it helped lol

Full story is that we had the 12gbps article ready to go Wednesday morning. Minutes before publishing, we were sent the 14gbps BIOS, so the article was held and Brent was back to testing at the higher level. About 12 hours later, we got word that the 14gbps needed further engineering evaluation before making it official, so we rolled with the 12gbps article on Thursday morning.

For manual overclocking, @Brent_Justice is working on that now with a hopeful ETA of Monday morning.

Wait does that mean that maybe in the future we would get 14gbps on the card? They are just polishing the bios up so that it would work better? Or is it a lost cause because I was really hoping they would roll out the bios fro 14gbps so I wouldn't have to spend more on the other AIB Cards.

Wait does that mean that maybe in the future we would get 14gbps on the card? They are just polishing the bios up so that it would work better? Or is it a lost cause because I was really hoping they would roll out the bios fro 14gbps so I wouldn't have to spend more on the other AIB Cards.

I don't think that it's polishing so much as they are validating that the higher speed will work on all cards that are currently in the channel. The 14gbps bios worked just fine on the sample card that we got, but they need to make sure it works on all. If they don't make sure of that, then they'll have a ton of returns to worry about due to unstable cards. In the interim, you can OC the memory yourself and get the same benefits :).

When you say 14gbps, what does that translate to? Think mine defaults to 945Mhz....Can you convert 14gbps to something i can compare it to? (in my mind)

14GHz / 8 = 1750MHz

1750MHz / 2 = 875MHz

gbps (giga bits per second) is the same as saying GHz gigahertz

it's a measure of data performance, the other one is frequency, but they are interchangeable

Become a Patron!
Back