Microsoft Announces Perfect Dark Reboot for Xbox Series X|S

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
perfect-dark-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

It’s been nearly 21 years since her original mission on N64, but Joanna Dark will be returning for a new adventure in the futuristic world of high-tech corporate espionage. The Initiative, Microsoft’s world-class “AAAA” game studio, has confirmed that it is developing a Perfect Dark title for next-generation Xbox consoles.

The Initiative hasn’t given us much to go on aside from a teaser trailer and developer interview, but they seem to suggest that Joanna will be going up against familiar threats in a world that’s been crippled by some sort of ecological disaster. A logo for dataDyne Corporation, the franchise’s primary antagonist, can be seen near the end of the teaser.

As for gameplay, Design...

Continue reading...

Oooh a remake! Count me in as shamefully interested in this potential money grab!

I was probably in the minority when I enjoyed playing Perfect Dark multiplayer more than Goldeneye back in the day on the N64.

I was probably in the minority when I enjoyed playing Perfect Dark multiplayer more than Goldeneye back in the day on the N64.

Maybe so, but I liked PD more than Goldeneye as well. Sadly, PD came out so late I never played it as much as I played Goldeneye before I moved on to a new console.

I had a Dreamcast (I think) by the time PD came out on the N64. So most of my time was spent playing on the Dreamcast. (If it wasn't before, then it was a few months after PD)

I can remember playing both Goodeneye and Perfect Dark on N64 with friends. Perfect Dark was definitely the one I enjoyed more. Perfect Dark and a bottle of Jolt cola, good times!

Maybe so, but I liked PD more than Goldeneye as well. Sadly, PD came out so late I never played it as much as I played Goldeneye before I moved on to a new console.

I had a Dreamcast (I think) by the time PD came out on the N64. So most of my time was spent playing on the Dreamcast. (If it wasn't before, then it was a few months after PD)
That's what happened to me, and most people I know. PD did have the better multiplayer, but by the time it came around many had moved on. The multiplayer base in my area really shrank for PD compared to Goldeneye 007. The latter is what most of us have memories for. Years of them. I have waaaaay less memories of Perfect Dark than G007. In fact, I think by now I've put a lot more multiplayer time into the XBLA remaster than I have the original game. PD is also one of those games that is very hard to go back to for framerate reasons. All my urges for original PD gaming (singleplayer or multiplayer) are fulfilled by the remaster.

I've never played PD Zero, or whatever the new one for X360 was called. I think it was even a launch title for the system?

What we need is a new No One Lives Forever.
It still really pisses me off that no one can figure out the rights/licenses with the IP. I recall reading years ago that Nightdive wanted to get the rights, and produce modern ports of the two original games for throwing up on GOG and elsewheres, and had even begun work on such builds, but they were unable to progress due to the crazy mess with the IP's ownership. I really wanted them to do it. I'd be down for a new 3rd game too.

It still really pisses me off that no one can figure out the rights/licenses with the IP. I recall reading years ago that Nightdive wanted to get the rights, and produce modern ports of the two original games for throwing up on GOG and elsewheres, and had even begun work on such builds, but they were unable to progress due to the crazy mess with the IP's ownership. I really wanted them to do it. I'd be down for a new 3rd game too.

I think the original Goldeneye 007 wont be ported because of Nintendo. While RareWare made the game and now Rareware is ownded by Microsoft, I believe Nintendo wont allow it to be remade unless it's on their system exclusively and Microsoft doesn't want it to be a Nintendo exclusive. That is, if I remember correctly.

They did make a new Goldeneye 007, I think it was on the Wii and other consoles, but it wasn't anywhere near the original Goldeneye 007.

I think the original Goldeneye 007 wont be ported because of Nintendo. While RareWare made the game and now Rareware is ownded by Microsoft, I believe Nintendo wont allow it to be remade unless it's on their system exclusively and Microsoft doesn't want it to be a Nintendo exclusive. That is, if I remember correctly.

They did make a new Goldeneye 007, I think it was on the Wii and other consoles, but it wasn't anywhere near the original Goldeneye 007.
Oh uuhh the part from my post you quoted was in reference to No One Lives Forever. I had been replying to what hubaduba said.

Become a Patron!
Back