NVIDIA Is Reportedly Introducing an “Ultra” Tier of GeForce RTX Graphics Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

As if the Titanium and SUPER brandings weren’t enough, NVIDIA is reportedly introducing a third performance tier to its increasingly elaborate stack of GeForce RTX 30 Series products. Wccftech has shared a story suggesting that ASUS is releasing a new graphics card as part of its TUF Gaming lineup called the GeForce RTX 3060 Ultra.

“As per our sources, NVIDIA is rebranding the GeForce RTX 3060 as the GeForce RTX 3060 Ultra,” the author wrote. “It is stated that the Ultra tier is spec’d above the Ti and SUPER variants and as such, this card features a beefier memory interface and top of the line cooling solutions even...

Continue reading...

Didn’t there used to be an Ultra lineup - like back with the 8800?

This is such a joke.......
what, are hey going to make one and I mean a single GPU, just to say they did it?
I mean come on man, you can't even buy a plain old pedestrian 3080 anywhere.......
I just gotta laugh, it's getting ridiculous.

Seems to be the new thing to do like they did with the 1600 lineup.

Totally, the Ultra branding by Nvidia has been around for a long time, since Geforce2. Then Geforce FX really abused the Ultra branding. Nvidia should leave the Ultra branding for the top non titan level card, 3080ultra. Just my 2 cents.

Supposedly this is faster than the 3060Ti. But from the specs I don't think so. Sure it has more memory, but it has less memory bandwidth because of the smaller bus and less cores.

Get your new liquid metal super ultra TI 3060... it's VERY NEARLY as fast as a 3070 but TWICE THE PRICE!

I honestly think they are intentionally leaking as much chaff as they can to see what the market seems interested in. Then they will pair down... otherwise we're looking at a 3060 base, 3060 super, 3060 ti, AND 3060 Ultra. How can you get those same variants on a 3070 chipset without dipping into 3080 territory, and for the 3080 with the margin in performance so slim when going to the 3090 how can they fit more models in there? It almost seems like they need to focus on task specific models.

a 30X0 For streamers that has extra cores allocated to doing your green screen effect and background noise cleanup without hurting game performance.
a 30X0 for people doing video/image work. Where the memory bus is better and more focused to expedite that.
a 30x0 for Gamers. It's primary focus is playing games but it like the others is capable of the other items as well but it doesn't have the faster memory like the production card, and it doesn't have the additional processor cores allocated to streaming and audio effects.

Don't give them fancy names.. Just name them correctly. "The 3080 Streamer model. The 3080 Editor model, and the 3080 Gamer model." Then you let the market know what cards are meant for what.

Of course Sites like this one will test all of the models because that's what nerds do. we will say.. "If you're playing Flight Sim we find that the Editor Model with it's better memory bus architecture actually gives you a more stable framerate in Microsoft Flight Simulator. Sure it comes with a x hundred dollar premium but for flight sim fanatics it's a drop in the bucket." then there will be the arguments online about how X variant actually is the better card because of Y and so on. But consumers will know what card they should get at last!

Of course Sites like this one will test all of the models
It's a catch 22. I'm sure David will do his best to source them but it's a mostly out of pocket thing right now. Manufacturers are very particular about sending samples out and they're few and far in between.

As far as crossing territory with models/SKUs, well, it is confusing because we're almost getting down to single-digit performance differences. It's not there yet but sure seems like those gaps are closing quickly.

Supposedly this is faster than the 3060Ti. But from the specs I don't think so. Sure it has more memory, but it has less memory bandwidth because of the smaller bus and less cores.
It's the wording from the source. It says the 3060 has been rebranded 3060 ULTRA, which would make sense given the specs, but then says it sits above both the 3060 Ti and SUPER? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The source is WCCFTech, though, so I'm sure they will ninja edit it until they get it right.

Become a Patron!
Back