Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Will Probably Have Loot Boxes

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The sky is blue, water is wet, and an Activision AAA-title will have microtransactions. While the company hasn't admitted its upcoming Call of Duty retread will have loot boxes, beta players have spotted a menu listing suggesting they'll be present in the shipped version.

More specifically, there's a "lootbox" unlock called the "common supply drop" being listed in some of the post-game, after-action report screens. This may the new name for "reserve crates," which is the clever moniker Activision used to sneak loot boxes into Black Ops 4 a few months after launch.

Activision previously confirmed that Modern Warfare is "eliminating the traditional season pass," adding maps and other post-launch content to the game for free. The company pursuing other business models to make up for that lost revenues is no surprise, but with the backlash against paid loot boxes in recent years, fans couldn't be blamed for hoping Call of Duty would leave those behind too.

This comes as no surprise. Until loot boxes are banned in the more major markets, Activision and EA will both continue to shoehorn loot boxes into as many games as possible in order to reap the highest profits possible.

getting tired of loot boxes. If they're only for cosmetic items, whatever. But if I have to go through loot boxes to get gear, then, no, I won't buy the game.

It also won't have dedicated servers which is one of the things that made the original CoD4:MW have so much staying power and popularity.

It also won't have dedicated servers which is one of the things that made the original CoD4:MW have so much staying power and popularity.

I think the first Black Ops was the last COD game to have dedicated servers. .

I think the first Black Ops was the last COD game to have dedicated servers. .

Coincidentally, that's the last CoD I played with multiplayer I actually enjoyed.

I'm not pre-ordering a **** thing. I probably will get this game for the single player and probably for benchmarking in reviews. Past that, I'm not spending a dime on microtransactions and I doubt the multiplayer will grab me without dedicated servers.

Coincidentally, that's the last CoD I played with multiplayer I actually enjoyed.

Same here. I really enjoyed paying online in that game. Don't really play online anymore. I prefer to play against bots now, which makes me wonder if this game will have that option?

This just landed in the news mailbox -

NVIDIA and Activision today announced the GeForce RTX Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Bundle , where for a limited time, gamers will receive Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which is scheduled to release on October 25, with the purchase of an eligible GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2080 SUPER, 2080, 2070 SUPER, 2070, 2060 SUPER or 2060 GPU-equipped graphics card, laptop or desktop.

Become a Patron!
Back