Microsoft Edge Now Second Most Popular Desktop Browser: Statcounter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft Edge Now Second Most Popular Desktop Browser: Statcounter

Go to post

That's what you get firefox when you continually and repeatedly burn your users.

I'm sure that it setting itself up as the default browser, and default app for a handful of things had nothing to do with this nor how it will still periodically pester users to switch back after they've installed Firefox or Chrome.

I can't stop Edge from coming up - a lot of things on Windows just use Edge and ignore your browser preference. Like web searches from the Search bar.

it would be way too much to ask the OS to use your preference, and even a bigger ask to be able to uninstall peripheral software, I suppose.

I’ve been using FF for over 10 yrs. On rare occasion has something gotten so messed up I’ve had to use Chromium. I’m not a power user though, so I don‘t know why it’s doing so poorly.

I’ve been using FF for over 10 yrs. On rare occasion has something gotten so messed up I’ve had to use Chromium. I’m not a power user though, so I don‘t know why it’s doing so poorly.
I'd say that the FF's falling popularity largely has to do with people having to actively seek it out. I used to use it for many years in the early 2000s. I switched to Chrome when it started having some issues and various other IT people I knew were recommending Chrome. Meanwhile, between Android, Windows 10, and iOS, most people will only use what comes bundled so Chrome, Edge(Chromium), and Safari are all that most current users will work with.

I began retesting FF a few years ago and I keep it as a backup browser when things go sideways in Chrome.

I can't stop Edge from coming up - a lot of things on Windows just use Edge and ignore your browser preference. Like web searches from the Search bar.

it would be way too much to ask the OS to use your preference, and even a bigger ask to be able to uninstall peripheral software, I suppose.
Reportedly this is more fixed with recent windows 11 patches. I'll update if I stumble on repeated f ups.

And I use some custom builds of FF for work because you can do specialized paths to use ancient Java versions with it.

After the Netscape Navigator days, I've been with Firefox since v1.0. I mained Pale Moon for the most of the last decade (with FF as backup) until about a year or two ago, and switched back to Firefox because it was faster, less sites were broken in it, and stuff like YT just worked soooo much better in FF. I keep Pale Moon as a backup browser. On the very rare occasions when sh1t doesn't work in either, then I use Chromium-based Edge.

I'd say that the FF's falling popularity largely has to do with people having to actively seek it out. I used to use it for many years in the early 2000s. I switched to Chrome when it started having some issues and various other IT people I knew were recommending Chrome. Meanwhile, between Android, Windows 10, and iOS, most people will only use what comes bundled so Chrome, Edge(Chromium), and Safari are all that most current users will work with.

I began retesting FF a few years ago and I keep it as a backup browser when things go sideways in Chrome.
That doesn't seem like a valid cause, people always had to actively seek it out, when did it come pre-installed with any OS?

I switched to Waterfox when they released the so called Quantum update that broke half the extensions I actively used. They still worked with Waterfox for a while, but eventually that lost support for legacy extensions as well. But I stuck with Waterfox anyway for a while. Then I was forced back on Firefox I don't remember why now.

I'm still on it, but they are working extremely hard to push people off the edge, first nagging with log-ins, then updates that broke compatibility with previous installations (ie. you can't downgrade without loosing your profile). And the latest nail in its coffin was the proton UI revamp, that had a ton of people raging, including me. First they allowed to switch back to the old ui look, then in the next update they removed the option. This actually made it worse than if they had simply changed the UI without stringing us along.

The only reason I'm still on firefox is because I haven't found anything better yet, believe me I looked when the UI thing happened.

I tried FF on Android when we were still on good terms, but the android version was disastrous, even the phone's built in non-branded web browser was far superior on all of my phones I owned since then.

That doesn't seem like a valid cause, people always had to actively seek it out, when did it come pre-installed with any OS?
Yes, but back when it came out(I'm talking 2002-2004)cell phone and mobile device adoption was still in the early phases. The first iPhone wouldn't even debut for another 3 years in 2007. It was a much different time. By 2008 it reached 30% share but fast-forward 10 years when Android and iPhones have pretty much dominated, Windows 10 and iOS have become norms for many, and it tanked. According to reports, it lost 46 million users between 2018-2021.

Sure there were those who happily shelled out the extra money for more expensive devices in the late 90s and early 2000s that later became what we recognize now, but back then things were much simpler and Firefox was able to rely on a PC community that was used to fending for itself. These days, most people take what the OS gives them and only seek something out if they feel they have the time and are annoyed enough.

Become a Patron!
Back