Scammy Apps on the App Store Won’t Let Users Quit Them

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Some apps on Apple's App Store have employed questionable tactics. Developer Kosta Eleftheriou, who has a reputation for exposing scams on the App Store, has come across apps that will not let users close them by disabling the quit button.

Go to post

This isn't iOS. This is OS X. So comparisons to Android aren't accurate.

That said - seems like Force Quit would work (Ctrl-Alt-Esc). Or, if you really wanted to drop to the shell and kill it with Unix fire.

The Verge confirmed that the quit option was disabled on these apps but found ways of closing them.

great use of their 30% app store share to prevent this kind of crap.

While I haven't had any apps on Android do it, yet; there are apps on the Play Store that do make it difficult to close them. IE: No close/exit buttons/options. You have to use Android to close the app.

While I haven't had any apps on Android do it, yet; there are apps on the Play Store that do make it difficult to close them. IE: No close/exit buttons/options. You have to use Android to close the app.
Well, there is no Close App on iOS. You can force quit apps, but they just sleep/suspend in the background if you have opened them and aren't using them. And that's a OS hook, I don't think an App on iOS can prevent you from switching to another app or going to the Home screen.

On OS X, all they have done is set a modal window without a Close option. Not really all that hard to get around, and anyone who's done any UI programming has probably done the same thing on accident at least once. This isn't really even a story - other than the fact that an app is mildly misbehaving on a curated storefront.

Become a Patron!
Back