Best Buy Launches $199.99 Home Pick-Up Recycling Service

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Looking for a way of getting that CRT TV out of the house without breaking your back? Best Buy's latest service might be of interest to you, then—the electronics retailer shared a press release today confirming that it has launched a new home pick-up recycling service, one that allows lazier customers to pay $199 to get all sorts of old and unneeded tech picked up from their homes.

Go to post

For JUST 200 bucks we will take away your electronics, strip everything of value, sell it and e-waste the rest responsibly.

This should be mandatory for free when you buy a new item from them. Buy a new Washing machine? They must offer to take away the old free of charge. That's how it works in a first world country.
For whatever reason, only mattresses work that way here. And sometimes refrigerators.

That said, most places will accept e-waste for free where I'm at.

It's all over the map where I live. Sad to say I'm still better off with our handyman helping me with all the big heavy crap. That reminds me, it's about time to clean out the garage again. sigh.

Just like chargers should come with phones and electric cars.
That Tesla move is completely asinine, they know their explanation is a lie, everybody who is not a Musk/Tesla groupie acknowledges that they are lying, yet they still get away with it.

Holy crap.....
Most if not all appliance stores where I'm at take your old item away free when you buy new stuff.
We have a giant recycle center on the edge of the county, about 15 minute drive from my place that takes anything for free.
We can set things at the street on garbage day and 99% will be hauled away.

My question is.....once BestBuy picks up your stuff, what happens to it? Dumped somewhere illegal? Sent to India to be dumped illegally?

I talked to the guys at our local recycle business.....they have warehouses full of plastic and paper that they can't find places for.
They said only about 1/3 of the stuff they take in has a buyer.

We have a giant recycle center on the edge of the county, about 15 minute drive from my place that takes anything for free.
We can set things at the street on garbage day and 99% will be hauled away.
Same deal with me, pretty much. In my county we have a recycling center that's not too far from our house, maybe 20-25min, and we've taken all kinds of sh1t there, from refrigerators to washers/dryers to old A/C units to CRT TVs and more. Doesn't cost anything except the gas it takes to get there. We just load the stuff in a pickup truck (previously a minivan) and just take it on over. And yeah, a lot of stuff we can just leave on the curb and they will pick it up on trash day.

Just like chargers should come with phones and electric cars.
Good god no. I don’t need any more junk usb chargers - I’ve got way to many as it is. Let me take a $20 credit off the phone instead of sticking me with a charger and cable I don’t need.

Good god no. I don’t need any more junk usb chargers - I’ve got way to many as it is. Let me take a $20 credit off the phone instead of sticking me with a charger and cable I don’t need.

That's great if you like this:

1650569058600.png

My 25+ years of cellphone experience has taught me to only trust the charger that comes with the device. It is optimized for its charging capabilities.

Also, prices for phones have been going up, despite the lack of the charger, so you won't be saving any money...

I do hear you, I don't want extra junk laying around, but at the same time, capabilities of chargers change over time. Usually when I buy a device, I use the charger it came with as the primary charger, keep a couple of old ones as auxiliary chargers, and get rid of everything older than that. The older ones are going to either charge slowly, or be broken at this point.

Sadly, my Pixel 5a will probably be the last phone I buy to come with a charger.

Basically paying to haul it away. I had to have a piano removed from my house and cost something like 200. Kinda sad it was destined for the landfill... But the thing falling to pieces while they were moving it proved that it was beyond repair (affordable repair, anyway). And I could not give that thing away on CL, only got scammers.

That being said, I think Best Buy will recycle just about any appliance they sell. CRT TVs etc... but you have to haul it to them.

My local trash pickup will not take CRT TVs at all, and only appliances (and other big stuff like furniture) if you pay by the pound or something. I had to pay the city $150 to take an ancient fridge and old couches.

Become a Patron!
Back