NVIDIA: We Don’t Release “Sub-Par Beta Drivers” with “Minimal Testing”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
In what some have perceived to be a knock against AMD and Intel's respective efforts, NVIDIA has stated that it doesn't release "sub-par beta drivers" with "minimal testing." The statement was made by technical marketer Andrew Burnes, who shared an article today explaining how GeForce Game Ready Drivers deliver the best experience for PC games by going through a painstaking process that involves numerous tests and the use of special tools like NVIDIA NSIGHT Graphics, which allows developers and engineers to achieve greater optimizations.

Go to post

I have to give them credit, and obviously cannot speak for the masses, but even with the 3-4 rigs in the house and a variety of CPU/GPU combinations, I rarely have had issues with NV drivers in recent years. There was a rough patch back around 2015ish, right after Witcher 3/Mass Effect Andromeda/Metro Last Light releases, that I ran into some problems with multiple drivers for a couple of years but that was pretty much it for recent times, for me anyway.

Meanwhile, at work, the majority of the last 5 five years has been a constant battle with MS Updates screwing up our dozen or so different HP printers. I couldn't even count how many times I've had to go directly to HP to get a driver to get a printer back up and running(with all its functions) for someone.

Yeah I’d agree - had some issues about 4ish years ago, but have been pretty good since then.

I’ve had decent luck with AMD drivers for a good while now.

Intel drivers… only seem to work when there is no other GPU, and even then the IGP is so piss poor your hardly notice if they werent optimized

I used to work for a QA software testing company, and nVidia was one of our clients. We mostly tested console and PC games, as well as a variety of mobile software, but we had a dedicated team to testing nVidia GPU drivers and hardware. I almost never got to do any console testing, but because of my background and experience with PCs, they put me on the nVidia shiznit. I was also one of the few guys building the rigs we used for testing. We technically counted as nVidia employees, we had nVidia email addresses, and used a VPN to connect to nVidia's internal network. This was during the late 2000s. Those were some interesting times. I was on the night shift, and that's when I learned to love the night-time living lifestyle. We called the sun the "day moon." If it was in the sky, that meant sleepy-times. Anyways, I can't speak for ATi/AMD or Intel, but from what I saw and experienced, nVidia did/does put a good amount of work into testing the f*ck outta their drivers.

Personally, I as well as friends, family, and clients haven't really had too many issues with Radeon drivers over the years either. Catalyst was a step in the right direction, and Adrenalin got things to a pretty respectable place, I'd say.

My experience with Intel drivers has been limited to iGPUs on laptops. Can't really say much about that. So long as I could output to an external display via HDMI without issue, I didn't really require much else. Emulators and even some native PC games (old 3D ones like UT3 & UT2K4, and newer 2D ones like Streets of Rage 4) ran fine. The iGPU control panel software often leaves much to be desired, but then again you can't really expect it to be feature-rich, as there isn't much to the iGPUs to begin with.

My experience with their first WDDM 2.1 drivers, 372.54 on my Pascal Titan X begs to differ.

The non-unified launch drivers for the Titan worked perfectly, but the next driver happened to be the first WDDM 2.1 compliant release, and it was awful. Constant "code 43" driver errors on boot. The issue persisted for about a half a year until they finally got around to fixing it.

Nvidia used to be known for their quality drivers, but in 2016 something changed.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back