Marvel’s Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy Reportedly Lost Square Enix $200 Million

Oops, all berries!... I mean burned by licensing, no its not a money printing machine.

Funny thing is that these weren't bad games, and while Avengers had some issues that prevented it from doing better, neither of them sold badly. Both had respectable sales figures. I enjoyed playing both of them.

Really points out to me that S/E signed a bad licensing deal that made it extremely difficult to make good money, not that the studios made bad games.

There are more layers to that story. Avengers was supposed to be their "live service title" so they were counting on ongoing revenue not just initial sales. But from what I've heard the game sucked hard, you are the first person I ever saw praising it.

I gave both a try. Avengers was just not that good, while Guardians is a game I have to get back to since it didn't seem that bad.

The general consensus among many threads from Twitter to Reddit to various sites I checked while prepping this one is that Avengers pretty much destroyed anyone's faith that SE could pull off another Marvel game and thus somewhat doomed GOTG. It has been improving over the last few months but it's somewhat too little too late. I never tried Avengers, I was tempted but bad reviews from nearly everyone, players and reviewers, kept me from ever trying. The nerd that I am loved GOTG and I totally recommend it if you are into simple RPGs that have a greater focus on the story more than anything else. Graphics range from 'meh' to pretty good. The soundtrack is great and after a while, I got used to the voice actors. I'm bummed that'll likely never get a sequel.

There are more layers to that story. Avengers was supposed to be their "live service title" so they were counting on ongoing revenue not just initial sales. But from what I've heard the game sucked hard, you are the first person I ever saw praising it.
As a Live Services title, yeah, it was horrible. No real endgame activities, class balance was a big issue, they never really got reward ratios in line, etc. It was completely uninspired if you were looking for a superhero take on Destiny.

As a single player RPG, it was pretty good. The story was a bit hamfisted at times, but it played well and there was enough of it to feel like a full game. And in spite of having a Muslim teenage girl as the main character, it didn't feel like it was pushing a woke agenda. Really the worst thing I could say about it was they didn't license the likenessess of the actors, but that wasn't an entirely bad thing, as the story doesn't take place in the same storyline as the movies either.

It was well worth the $20 I spent on it from this perspective, but I've never went back to it as they added content. I probably should. Maybe I am the only one in the world that felt that way, but I thought it was on par with GoTG as a single player title.

The general consensus among many threads from Twitter to Reddit to various sites I checked while prepping this one is that Avengers pretty much destroyed anyone's faith that SE could pull off another Marvel game and thus somewhat doomed GOTG. It has been improving over the last few months but it's somewhat too little too late. I never tried Avengers, I was tempted but bad reviews from nearly everyone, players and reviewers, kept me from ever trying. The nerd that I am loved GOTG and I totally recommend it if you are into simple RPGs that have a greater focus on the story more than anything else. Graphics range from 'meh' to pretty good. The soundtrack is great and after a while, I got used to the voice actors. I'm bummed that'll likely never get a sequel.
Like others have said, the general consensus of what I had been hearing about Avengers led me to just not have even a passing interest in it. It's a big game industry, there are a lot of games to play, and there's real life sh1t going on, so I try to be wise with my gaming time. Didn't feel like taking a chance on Avengers. I also wasn't interested in the live service stuff.

I didn't really hear much about the GotG game, so I assumed the greater gaming population was avoiding it for a reason. Thus I didn't have much interest in it either. Then while visiting a friend, I watched him play the game on his XBSX for a good while. It got me pretty interested in checking it out. I intend to do that at some point in the future. No rush or anything, but it's in the queue now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the game. As I said, I don't really hear people talking about that one.

Each bit of info makes this acquisition look better. Even thinking back to the Nordic/THQ days, I can't think of an instance of blatant douchebaggery from Embracer, and that's very uncommon for a publisher.

Each bit of info makes this acquisition look better. Even thinking back to the Nordic/THQ days, I can't think of an instance of blatant douchebaggery from Embracer, and that's very uncommon for a publisher.
Yeah they have mostly let Cryptic be Cryptic and Gearbox be Gearbox. Given the direction S/E seems to be headed in, I think this is going to be a big win for TR/DX fans.

It was well worth the $20 I spent on it from this perspective, but I've never went back to it as they added content. I probably should. Maybe I am the only one in the world that felt that way, but I thought it was on par with GoTG as a single player title.
Well, based on you, I may end up giving it a shot. I was pretty mixed on the story but all I ever really wanted it for was the single-player campaign. I've got a feeling it'll be on sale for a substantial discount between now and the holidays so maybe I'll pull the trigger then.

As a Live Services title, yeah, it was horrible. No real endgame activities, class balance was a big issue, they never really got reward ratios in line, etc. It was completely uninspired if you were looking for a superhero take on Destiny.

As a single player RPG, it was pretty good. The story was a bit hamfisted at times, but it played well and there was enough of it to feel like a full game. And in spite of having a Muslim teenage girl as the main character, it didn't feel like it was pushing a woke agenda. Really the worst thing I could say about it was they didn't license the likenessess of the actors, but that wasn't an entirely bad thing, as the story doesn't take place in the same storyline as the movies either.

Just wanted to say thanks for your perspective on the game. The internet, as usual, is wildly toxic on this one. I picked it up on the weekend for $15.99 and I've been enjoying it so far. My only real complaint is about the menus. Other than that it has a lot of the typical Square-Enix/Eidos M. feel to it. As I've just finished Spider-Man Remastered it was nice this happened to be on sale as the same day I did that and went straight to it. I have to give Marvel credit though. The three games, while separate with very different characters, do have some commonality as well in terms of overall visual appearances. It's a shame the team fell apart/was sold and so on. It would've been nice to have seen it updated like SOTTR was.

Saving these studies from SE may be the crowning achievement of the Marvel Universe this century.

Become a Patron!
Back