PlayStation Game Quality Would “Deteriorate” If They Came to PS Plus on Day One: Sony

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
PlayStation is set to launch its brand-new PS Plus subscription service with multiple tiers in just a few weeks, but something that gamers haven't been happy with is how it won't offer day-one titles, one of the most notable perks of Microsoft's competing Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass services.

Go to post

Hmm, I don't know.

XBGP has ... a bit over 300 games? Sony will have double that.

And XBGP Day 1 titles are mostly first party titles, not typically from third party developers. And games that get given away early tend to have abysmal sales... so I can see why Sony would be sensitive towards their developers - the subscription model right now just can't compensate as well as those early Full Retail Price sales that AAA consoles titles can get when they are decent titles. Not to say that it might not be able to in the future, or with a few tweaks, but right now I don't think it can compare.

So, I don't know if it would deteriorate the quality of games, but I can see the concern... I'm not entirely white knighting Sony here, but I wouldn't exactly go out and say that everything that MS is doing with XBGP is better than what Sony is proposing either.

I hate subscription services anyway, so I don't really care what they put on it. A game that's not worth buying is usually not worth playing anyway.
If I even get a PS5 when it actually comes out, I'll probably just buy the two or three interesting exclusives that comes out during its lifetime.

I hate subscription services anyway, so I don't really care what they put on it. A game that's not worth buying is usually not worth playing anyway.
If I even get a PS5 when it actually comes out, I'll probably just buy the two or three interesting exclusives that comes out during its lifetime.
I sense sarcasm here related to product availability.

I sense sarcasm here related to product availability.
I have not seen a PS5 since release available even once at a domestic (Hungary) retailer. (with exception to scalpers) There is one online shop that lists it as a pre-order with no date, just pay and you'll get one eventually, but don't ask when. Well, I'm not going to pay unless they can guarantee a product and at least an approximate date. Not that I'm in a hurry to get one. There is nothing to play yet. I could find out that GT7 is meh on PS4, and I'm waiting for the PC version of Horizon Forbidden West.

I have not seen a PS5 since release available even once at a domestic (Hungary) retailer. (with exception to scalpers) There is one online shop that lists it as a pre-order with no date, just pay and you'll get one eventually, but don't ask when. Well, I'm not going to pay unless they can guarantee a product and at least an approximate date. Not that I'm in a hurry to get one. There is nothing to play yet. I could find out that GT7 is meh on PS4, and I'm waiting for the PC version of Horizon Forbidden West.
If it makes you feel any better, I havent seen any availability (that wasn’t immediately snatched by bots) in the US either.

Switch OLED and XBSS have been in for a while. XBSX has started to have some stock - not steady yet, but it isn’t getting blown through in seconds when it does drop. But no PS5 anywhere apart for the usual drops that are instantly gone in a blur of crashes web sites.

Wow! I didn't know that PS5 availability was still so abysmal. Things have been improving in the PC arena, in recent months, so I sort of thought that it had been as well. I eventually gave up on the NE shuffles but for a while they were consistently listed there.

Wow! I didn't know that PS5 availability was still so abysmal. Things have been improving in the PC arena, in recent months, so I sort of thought that it had been as well. I eventually gave up on the NE shuffles but for a while they were consistently listed there.
I did see some on Shuffle a while back, but often in some pretty overpriced bundles -- to the tune that you were no better off going with the Scalpers on Amazon or Ebay. And being Shuffle, there could have been thousands of PS5's in that drop, or 1.

But I've never seen a PS5 in regular retail inventory. Even after locking them behind their VIP program, Best Buy still sells out instantly -- scalpers say it's just made it easier for them.

Become a Patron!
Back