Acer Predator Helios 300 SpatialLabs Edition Offers Glasses-Free 3D Gaming, Powered by NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 GPU

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Acer has shared a press release detailing one of its latest gaming laptops, the Predator Helios 300 SpatialLabs Edition.

Go to post

Glasses-free 3D?! Like what the Nintendo 3DS does, but in a laptop?! I hope it works a lot better than the 3D on at least the Old 3DS, where you always had to be looking at the screen in exactly the right position (hard to do with a handheld console that isn't perfectly stationary). The New 3DS at least uses the cameras for eye-tracking, which makes the 3D work a lot better. But in the end, the 3D still causes some eye strain and eye fatigue for me (and in rare cases headaches), and also eats through remaining battery power a lot faster. It works very well in some games, but overall still a rather large gimmick. I'm curious about how well it works in monitors though.

Wait.. 3400 dollar starting price? Are they apple or something?
As a fan of 3D, I was definitely interested in it until I saw that price and literally choked while reading it. Yeah, that's guaranteed to not sell. I did a lot of 3D gaming a while back and depending on how this is implemented it will need all the power that 3080 can offer. The old stuff basically acted like double so if you gamed in 3D at 1080p it was about as GPU intensive as 4K 2D, albeit a bit less but still similar. My last setup for 3D gaming involved a 1080 Ti and a 27" 1440p/144 Hz 3D monitor. For most games, it held around 50-60 FPS in 3D.

I'm not sure if Tsing is planning more from Acer but evidently, yesterday was a big reveal day for a lot of Spatial Lab products. I was looking at them last night. Seriously like a half dozen or more announcements. If he doesn't get to it there's one I might do tomorrow about some portable 15.6" monitors that will go for around $1K with the same glasses-free tech. They're also planning a line of desktop monitors as well. We'll see how it goes. They listed Witcher 3 as one of the compatible games and it originally had 3D support back in the day. Looked great and The Witcher 2 also did as well. TR, ROTR, and SOTR, the original Metro, and Metro Last Light were some other good ones back in the day for 3D. I've still got DOOM 3 BFG which is a lot of fun too. I'm sure I have more but those are what I can remember off the top of my head. At one point there was even a config file tweak to turn on 3D for Alien Isolation. I've no idea if any or all of these will be compatible but I am curious and will be watching out for reviews.

Become a Patron!
Back