AU Optronics Is Working on a 540 Hz Gaming Display

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AU Optronics has begun the development of a 540 Hz panel designed for competitive gaming, according to a report shared on Chinese technology site MyDrivers that discusses some of the display manufacturer's upcoming projects.

Go to post

The placebo effect is strong.

The gaming world has long had comparison to the nonsense golden-eared audiophile buyers and their car-priced audio-jewelry, but I think this finally cements that comparison.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that these displays still don't compare to the high end CRT's in terms of motion clarity.

It reminds me of the LCD contrast race back before it just went to bajillions. The panels all looked the same on the showroom floor, but they just had to have a bigger number on the box than the next guy.

Not interested until they make a display with a refresh rate faster than the speed of light. I can't wait to see it (puns intended).

I'm betting this is past a point of diminishing returns on LCD refresh rates.

We were stuck on 60Hz forever, and now they're all headed towards 600Hz. Is there a race to 1,000Hz among the display manufacturers? Well I'll tell you what. When I'm playing a source port of Doom and my framerate is 1,000+ fps and I'm not running VSYNC, I'll appreciate that huge VRR window. So uuuhhh that's totally a legit reason to have such a monitor. Just like 540Hz VRR will come in handy when you're playing UT3 at 300-400+ fps with no VSYNC.

Also guys the big Hz is for the eSports. You know, the most important part of the video game industry? eSports people gotta do eSports things. None of y'allz are professionals so you don't even know. When you're fraggin' hard cuz you got frag harder disco lights, and you need to frag even harder, you gotta pump up them screen hertz. Without the big hertz, you get the big hurtz. To be a champion you need a 20" screen, TN panel, 1080p res, jack the in-game brightness or gamma all the way up, and only use headphones. Don't forget to keep your wrist still and move your entire arm to use your mouse. The bigger the mouse pad the better. Remember, the mousing surface needs to be bigger than your monitor, or you're gaming wrong. And you absolutely gotta have tenkeyless for weight savings. Your reflexes speed up when you go tenkeyless. But yeah, when you got so many frames coming at you each second that even Sonic the Hedgehog can't see the individual frames, you are gonna need that high refresh rate.

High refresh rate monitors are the reason we build computers. They are what stopped the PC industry from collapsing. You guys who run this website, you don't even need to test any other kind of hardware anymore. Just test high refresh rate monitors.

Become a Patron!
Back