NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1630 Reportedly Launching on June 28 with $150 MSRP

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA is planning to launch the GeForce GTX 1630 this Tuesday, according to an article shared by China's IT Home that references a purported notice from Chinese manufacturer COLORFUL, one that lists June 28 as the graphic card's release date.

Go to post

I'm all for there being low end GPU's. There are definitely uses for them.

it's a little bit sad that this is all $150 buy's you these days.

In the early 2000's, $150 would buy you a mid range GPU...

Now there has been some inflation since then, but not THAT much.

Obviously, my next statement is made out of some ignorance on the matter but if the low-end market is so popular then why doesn't either AMD or Intel make a 6 or 8-core CPU that is paired with their most powerful integrated offering? Seems like a guaranteed home run for multiple markets and the best of both worlds?

Obviously, my next statement is made out of some ignorance on the matter but if the low-end market is so popular then why doesn't either AMD or Intel make a 6 or 8-core CPU that is paired with their most powerful integrated offering? Seems like a guaranteed home run for multiple markets and the best of both worlds?
I agree.

I was going to write a big post about why they aren't doing this, but I just ended up talking myself into your exact position in the first place. Sony and Microsoft do it with consoles - doesn't seem like any reason it couldn't be done on the PC side as well.

180W in a package (that's roughly the TDP of the SOC in the current gen of consoles) is a bit on the high side for a "moderate" system, but certainly doable. In a system that's aimed at moderate-scale gaming you have plenty of room to de-tune the CPU to give the IGP more headroom. The only thing I can think of that the consoles do that a PC doesn't is that consoles will load up on faster system RAM than a PC would typically get access to, which allows for better IGP performance - but with DDR5 even that is mitigated a good bit, and there's no good reason we couldn't see systems made to accept GDDR SODIMMs if there were to be a market for it.

Sony and Microsoft do it with consoles
For that reason, I can see why AMD would have 2nd thoughts since they don't want to jeopardize those contract sales but for Intel, it seems like they're missing out on the proverbial gold mine. Even if it meant new socket/chipset tiers I find it mindboggling the billions in sales they've probably missed out on and what that could do to propel Arc.

So this is the "new" 630/730/1030 uber low end worthless for gaming cards?

So this is the "new" 630/730/1030 uber low end worthless for gaming cards?
Yep. Basically 720p or bust. Some 1080 if it's really undemanding.

Edit: It'll probably do better than that but this really is the bottom of the barrel for the current gen, outside perhaps of the Arc380.

Become a Patron!
Back