Lucasfilm Leaves Door Open for More Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen Express Interest in Second Season

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Disney began streaming what is believed to be the final episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi today, but there's a possibility that the show could return in a second season.

Go to post

I enjoyed the series myself, and wouldn't mind seeing another season.

I'm mixed with the series and it definitely has its ups and downs. Overall I like it but not as much as I was hoping to but as others have said, Ep5 was a bit of a turning point. I haven't watched 6 yet but will in the next day or two. Odds are if they did a 2nd series I'd watch it too but I'd be really bummed if it ended up all about Leia again.

The series was pretty "meh" quite honestly. That being said, I think a second season isn't necessarily a bad thing if they can take some lessons learned and apply them going forward. With good writing I think there is plenty that can be done with this time period and these characters. So far, Disney has been a mixed bag in terms of capitalizing on that potential.

Anything they try to do with these characters will only make things worse. The established lore was already broken multiple times by the series, and I don't mean the EU, which they disowned. But the story contradicts even New Hope.

I don't understand how can anyone enjoy this at all, unless they turn their brains completely off. But I want thought provoking stuff as my entertainment, I'm not looking for something to waste 6 hours, I want stuff that makes me think, that makes me feel things, other than utter disdain and disbelief at the lack of care taken when making this.

I think mine was fully functional while I was watching.🤔
Then how do you reconcile the contradictions with New Hope and Revenge of the Sith? I'm not being facetious, this is a legitimate question.

Or is it possible that Disney is banking on you not having seen the movies in a long time, so you don't remember the details clearly enough that make the events depicted in Obi Wan impossible?

Which would basically mean Disney is gaslighting their Star Wars audience. Wouldn't be a first. I mean the promotion for Obi Wan begun by calling Star Wars fans racists. If they had confidence in the show to carry itself they wouldn't have done that before even the first episode was out. It was not a reaction to a backlash, they were expecting the backlash and making excuses for it preemptively. Which means they knew the show was not good.

I thought little leia stole the show
Except Leia's message to Obi Wan in New Hope makes everything that happened in this show bad fan fiction, because it is clear that in New Hope Leia does not know Obi Wan. Continuity and lore matters!!! And writers for a 4 billion dollar franchise should make the minimal effort to at least know and not contradict the stories already told.

Except Leia's message to Obi Wan in New Hope makes everything that happened in this show bad fan fiction, because it is clear that in New Hope Leia does not know Obi Wan.
Maybe her Dad had her mind wiped like CP3O at the end of the Revenge of the Sith?:D Who knows what happens between this series and a New Hope. We all have to remember it's fiction, and just like in comic books where a character dies and comes back to life by very odd circumstances, it just proves anything can happen.

Maybe her Dad had her mind wiped like CP3O at the end of the Revenge of the Sith?:D Who knows what happens between this series and a New Hope. We all have to remember it's fiction, and just like in comic books where a character dies and comes back to life by very odd circumstances, it just proves anything can happen.
This is one of the most thrown about bad excuses, "oh it's just fiction"
So if it's fiction it doesn't matter if it makes absolutely no sense?

It's easier to make excuses after the fact than to do the minimum amount of research before writing a story to make sure it does not contradict anything. Her mind is wiped, what is she a droid now? If that technology is available why was it never mentioned or used before? Like on Vader to make him forget who he was? These excuses create more plotholes than they solve. Like the idiotic hyperdrive kamikaze run in TLJ. If that was always possible everyone would be making hyperdrive missiles left right and center. No, only Queen Pink Hair gets this idea once, and then it is never mentioned again. This is some of the laziest nonsensical writing possible, that does not stand up to any kind of critical thinking. Yet the galaxy brains who came up with it think they are the greatest ever.

If anything can happen nothing matters, nothing has any weight = bad non-engaging story with no suspense.
What makes a good story, is the stakes being real. Leia being kidnapped has no stakes because New Hope already happened. But that's the least of this show's problems.

The solution for Disney would be to hire competent writers who know what they are doing, and actually like the source material, so to not leave their brown skidmarks all over it. Like you know, from the pool of EU writers who they all kerb stomped casually after buying Star Wars.

Except Leia's message to Obi Wan in New Hope makes everything that happened in this show bad fan fiction, because it is clear that in New Hope Leia does not know Obi Wan. Continuity and lore matters!!! And writers for a 4 billion dollar franchise should make the minimal effort to at least know and not contradict the stories already told.
It's entirely possible that she doesn't remember him, I know my brothers/sisters in law since I was a kid as my parents and their parents were close friends. But we stopped seeing each other for decades till I got married with their sister. I can only remember a couple of them.

Also keep in mind that in NH its like Leia and Obi-Wan are entirely different people ;) :LOL: :p

This is one of the most thrown about bad excuses, "oh it's just fiction"
So if it's fiction it doesn't matter if it makes absolutely no sense?

It's easier to make excuses after the fact than to do the minimum amount of research before writing a story to make sure it does not contradict anything. Her mind is wiped, what is she a droid now? If that technology is available why was it never mentioned or used before? Like on Vader to make him forget who he was? These excuses create more plotholes than they solve. Like the idiotic hyperdrive kamikaze run in TLJ. If that was always possible everyone would be making hyperdrive missiles left right and center. No, only Queen Pink Hair gets this idea once, and then it is never mentioned again. This is some of the laziest nonsensical writing possible, that does not stand up to any kind of critical thinking. Yet the galaxy brains who came up with it think they are the greatest ever.

If anything can happen nothing matters, nothing has any weight = bad non-engaging story with no suspense.
What makes a good story, is the stakes being real. Leia being kidnapped has no stakes because New Hope already happened. But that's the least of this show's problems.

The solution for Disney would be to hire competent writers who know what they are doing, and actually like the source material, so to not leave their brown skidmarks all over it. Like you know, from the pool of EU writers who they all kerb stomped casually after buying Star Wars.
Did Disney not tell you. This story is in an alternate timeline/reality where anything can happen. It's great they can do whatever they want with any character they want from any IP they own and have it all in one amalgamated mess!

Did Disney not tell you. This story is in an alternate timeline/reality where anything can happen. It's great they can do whatever they want with any character they want from any IP they own and have it all in one amalgamated mess!
Sad to say but honestly becoming the norm for all. How many Batman or Superman restarts now? Soon we'll have a new Bond and then there are the other spy franchises as well. This is just the world we live in now.

Well, finished the season finale last night. I was surprised that I liked it. Not saying perfect but it was closer to what I'd originally expected from the series. I don't mind the Leia stuff, it just seemed to be a bit overdone.

Well, finished the season finale last night. I was surprised that I liked it. Not saying perfect but it was closer to what I'd originally expected from the series. I don't mind the Leia stuff, it just seemed to be a bit overdone.
Glad to see someone else enjoy it for what it is and not dissect everything. I do agree with you that the Leia thing was a bit overdone though.

It's entirely possible that she doesn't remember him, I know my brothers/sisters in law since I was a kid as my parents and their parents were close friends. But we stopped seeing each other for decades till I got married with their sister. I can only remember a couple of them.

Also keep in mind that in NH its like Leia and Obi-Wan are entirely different people ;) :LOL: :p
The quote in question:

General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

It actually fits with what happened in the series better than I thought it did. It doesn’t directly contradict ep 6

It doesn’t directly contradict ep 6
I felt some Deja vu with the way they wrote Leia in ep 6 to keep it aligned. I experienced the same when I watched the live-action Ghost in the Shell. I never read the original manga but still remember watching a bootleg VHS a year before it made it stateside. After that, I've gotten just about every version from VHS to BD and then got into the first 2 seasons of SAC. I remember the hate train for Scarlett when that movie came out. I still got it in 4K/3D and was really surprised that it wasn't the train wreck all the hate painted it to be and that the writers actually included a new bit in the story at the end explaining why she wasn't Asian. If anything I thought it was clever how they blended story arcs from the two animated movies and a little of SAC into it.

Meanwhile, with Obi-Wan, and other shows, they get picked apart so easily. So far, with all the Disney live-action shows, I've noticed I don't desire to rewatch any of their respective seasons but do go back to enjoy various episodes which is some praise in itself. I do hope they can do a 2nd season but if so, hopefully, more focus on the rebels and his dealings with Tatooine and the empire with some Luke thrown in (but not a season-long arc).

It's Star Wars. A story about people flying around in awesome spaceships fighting with "laser swords", rescuing princesses while escaping bounty hunters. It's meant to be pure fantasy and pure fun. Star Wars isn't supposed to be thought provoking. There are plenty of movies out there for that or for their cast iron plots or with Oscar caliber acting.

There's a reason Star Wars literally changed the world and created a universe that has been loved by billions for decades. Driving Miss Daisy, not so much won a zillion awards but hardly anybody cares about it.....but boy there was some great dialog tho.

Star Wars is a fantasy story you tell your friends around a camp fire. Try to make it though provoking or realistic and it all falls apart.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back