Atari Celebrates Its 50th Anniversary

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Atari brand is celebrating its 50th anniversary today, a meaningful occasion for just about anyone who's familiar with gaming history and the company's numerous milestones, including the first video arcade game in a cabinet and the Atari 2600 game console, something that continues to revered by classic games enthusiasts.

Go to post

You mean the ghosts of Atari's past? The current one is in name only.

You mean the ghosts of Atari's past? The current one is in name only.
You mean nfET? ;)

As mentioned in my BIO, I grew up with Atari. My first experience with them was pong at my grandparent's house in the late 70s. By the early 80s, I had my first console before it was called the VCS. It actually featured some dev tricks by flipping the switches are certain times to trigger dev modes with some games. Not long after that, I got the Atari 400 with which I learned Basic, Pascal, some Assembly, and machine code along with a little CP/M and of course DOS 1/2/3. Fun times back then. I remember being jealous of the STs when they came out and watching the battles between Commodore and Atari for ultimate home supremacy along with Apple/TRS/IBM/Dragon/Sinclair/Tandy to name a few.

You mean nfET? ;)

As mentioned in my BIO, I grew up with Atari. My first experience with them was pong at my grandparent's house in the late 70s. By the early 80s, I had my first console before it was called the VCS. It actually featured some dev tricks by flipping the switches are certain times to trigger dev modes with some games. Not long after that, I got the Atari 400 with which I learned Basic, Pascal, some Assembly, and machine code along with a little CP/M and of course DOS 1/2/3. Fun times back then. I remember being jealous of the STs when they came out and watching the battles between Commodore and Atari for ultimate home supremacy along with Apple/TRS/IBM/Dragon/Sinclair/Tandy to name a few.
What no Amiga love? ;)

I badly wanted an Amiga, but C64 was all we could afford. By the time I had disposable income the PCs had largely caught up.
That's how I felt with everything in that gen. I was torn between the Amiga 1000(?) and a 1040 ST though but either was way too much money to upgrade to. I knew somebody who got a 130XE when it came out and had some fun using the built-in RAM disk option. As a teenager, even with some odd jobs, it was beyond what I could afford but with my dad's help, we just upgraded the 400 (started with a cassette drive>1st double sided-double density drive(RANA)>then another (Indus GT)>upgraded ram from 16K to 48K>upgraded membrane keyboard to mechanical, 1st color printer (Okidata) and rode it until he got me a Tandy 1000Ex for Christmas years later. I did a couple of upgrades to it and then bowed out of the scene for a bit until the early 2000s when I started tinkering with parts and rigs being handed down to me from friends and coworkers and then eventually fully got back into it all with a store-bought VPR Matrix from BB that I ended up completely rebuilding and maxing out over the next 5-7 years.

Become a Patron!
Back